Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove my spare tire both for weight and space. I’m looking for an insert (foam/ plastic) to replace the spare tire and prevent the floor mat from collapsing. Storage would be cool too.

I found this online... Unfortunately it’s for a Mazda but I’m looking for something like this or or at least a foam/ plastic fake spare tire to fill the space and support the trunk liner.

I have AAA so I don’t need a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got air bags so I really don't need seatbelts...… I was thinking about using that space to add some extra tweeters.

Hell the first thing I did was to trash the doughnut and actually get a full size spare... but to each his own. I like what you did with the compartments... maybe you can carry around some extra oil, or jumper cables.... just in case. Never mind I forgot AAA takes care of everything.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s not my setup, that’s what I am trying to find. The only time I would put my spare in is if I’m going on a road trip. I don’t need one driving around the San Diego area, AAA will come quicker than I can probably change the tire anyway.

I’d rather save the weight, I’m sure it adds up over the lifetime of the vehicle in gas milage and throw around weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
963 Posts
I got air bags so I really don't need seatbelts...… I was thinking about using that space to add some extra tweeters.

Hell the first thing I did was to trash the doughnut and actually get a full size spare... but to each his own. I like what you did with the compartments... maybe you can carry around some extra oil, or jumper cables.... just in case. Never mind I forgot AAA takes care of everything.
Bruh...😂

·
Registered
963 Posts
I’d rather save the weight, I’m sure it adds up over the lifetime of the vehicle in gas milage and throw around weight.
Removing ~30 lbs from your car will save you an extremely small amount of money over the lifetime of a vehicle. It's rare to need it, but I'll keep mine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I want to remove my spare tire both for weight and space. I’m looking for an insert (foam/ plastic) to replace the spare tire and prevent the floor mat from collapsing. Storage would be cool too.

I found this online... Unfortunately it’s for a Mazda but I’m looking for something like this or or at least a foam/ plastic fake spare tire to fill the space and support the trunk liner.

I have AAA so I don’t need a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fiberglass? I'm working on a similar project to fab four battery vent hoods for a series GC2 6 volt battery. Seems like those would be easy to find and purchase, but not so in my case. Anyway, one of the ideas I'm kicking around is cutting a cardboard mockup of what I want, and then putting fiberglass around this until it dries. You could do something like that. That's a lot of work though, so to hold carpet up, I'd buy a 1 foot by two foot piece of foam from Hobby Lobby and put as little as needed in to hold the trunk up.

I used my spare two months ago. Shredded on the highway. Probably because the ride was so smooth I did not even notice the difference in driving until the rubber started to fall off.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Isn’t when AAA “changes a tire”, they just use what you have?
I recall they just tow vehicles without spares to closest tire center.
-
I’m more a full size spare person myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts