Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a couple spare keys for my 2005 Ford Focus. They do not have the chips in them, I just want them for when I locked myself out of my car (it happens more often then it should). The keys will lock my car doors but not unlock them, which defeats the purpose.I am assuming it has to do with the PATS system. Is there anything I can do about this wit out having to get the keys that do have chips?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Um,

This makes no sense at all.
How can a key lock a door but not unlock it?

A: Not possible.
If the key can lock a door it can certainly unlock it. There is no difference between the two operations other than direction you turn the key.
So I'm going with either the lock cylinder is sticky or ...

·
Registered
609 Posts
PATS has nothing to do with unlocking/locking the doors.
PATS has nothing to do with turning the ignition switch.
PATS has everything to do with the engine starting when the ignition switch is turned to the start position.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Not correct, I have tried this out and you dont need the correct cut key to lock the car, but of course it has to be correct cut to unlock, It all depends how the locing sylinder is designed...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Imperfectly cut keys usually work better turned in one direction than the other, a bit of wiggling will usually make them work both ways if close.

Haven't seen an example of a lock made to turn in the lock direction with ANY key that fits in the slot, but it is possible to design one that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts