Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get a spare key for my 2014, but I don't need to spend $50+ on one with the remote fob when a "regular" key with just the transponder is fine for $10...I just don't know if it will cause problems (like setting off the alarm or something weird like that).

It might be a silly question, but I've had some cars act really weird with aftermarket or non-OE keys.

Honestly, if I thought I could get away with a non-transponder key (so it just unlocks the door, for times when I lock the keys inside and just need to open up the car), I'd do that...but I'm pretty sure that unlocking the door without a transponder would set off the alarm.

Thoughts? Also, how many keys can we program to a car? Four?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'd like to get a spare key for my 2014, but I don't need to spend $50+ on one with the remote fob when a "regular" key with just the transponder is fine for $10...I just don't know if it will cause problems (like setting off the alarm or something weird like that).

It might be a silly question, but I've had some cars act really weird with aftermarket or non-OE keys.

Honestly, if I thought I could get away with a non-transponder key (so it just unlocks the door, for times when I lock the keys inside and just need to open up the car), I'd do that...but I'm pretty sure that unlocking the door without a transponder would set off the alarm.

Thoughts? Also, how many keys can we program to a car? Four?
I hope you find out the answer to this question; I'm looking for the answer too.

As for the keys, I think read *somewhere* that 8 keys can be programmed? But I could be mistaking it for something else.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you just want to unlock the door, a non-transponder key will work just fine. There are contacts in the door lock that disarm the alarm when the cylinder is turned.

If you want to be able to start the car, then you will need a transponder key, but not necessarily an IKT with buttons. There are side-mill blanks with the chip in them.

http://aftermarket.strattec.com/key.php?q=Ford

You can program up to 8 keys, you just need to have them all done at the same time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you just want to unlock the door, a non-transponder key will work just fine. There are contacts in the door lock that disarm the alarm when the cylinder is turned.
Perfect! Thanks for the information. I've had cars in the past where opening the door with a non-chipped key, while the alarm is armed, would set it off.

If you want to be able to start the car, then you will need a transponder key, but not necessarily an IKT with buttons. There are side-mill blanks with the chip in them.

http://aftermarket.strattec.com/key.php?q=Ford
Ideally, I don't want to be able to start the car with it, just open it up. I like to keep a spare in a magnetic box under the car (super safe, I know, and now the secret's out!) for those random and rare times when the "real" keys get locked inside the car and a spare isn't readily available (pretty much any time I'm not at home).

That said, the 164-R8045 (or 164-R8055?) / 4212475 keys that I think fit the Focus are just as much ($10) as this transponder key: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111432500420

So I'm probably better off just buying the transponder key and popping out the transponder (if I don't want it to start the car), don't you think?

You can program up to 8 keys, you just need to have them all done at the same time.
Do ALL the keys get reprogrammed when you program an additional key?

So I have the 2 keys from Ford, which are required to program additional keys. I assumed that additional keys just took on the original programming, but if you have to do them at the same time, it seems to me that they must get reprogrammed altogether.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If you unlock the car with a non-transponder key, the alarm WILL start after a few minutes.(for some reason it takes awhile)

If the window is open and you unlock the car reaching inside, even though the key is in your hand, the alarm will go off after a few minutes unless you stuck the key with transponder in the ignition.
(this is on Focus without push button start)
It happened to me and I was startled. WTF racing in my mind as i wondered how to stop it.

I agree a plain key is good to have around in case you lock your real key inside the car.
Pity the current Ford keys are all 'laser cut' so they are hard to have duplicated cheap.

(my last Ford I had a cheap key cut which could ONLY open the door but not turn the ignition. Stuck that under the car body with a zip tie for emergencies.)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
You sure the alarm sounds if you unlock it via the driver's door lock cylinder? Transponder key or not, simply turning those tumblers should trigger factory alarm disarm. While I'm no Focus expert, this is how it's done on MANY other vehicles.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered a Fusion-style flip-key and non-fob key, both of which should be here later this week or early next week. I'll get them cut ($40 each!) and try them out. I'll even try removing the transponder from the non-fob key and see what happens [wiggle]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts