Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Admins check the 'what's new' section for all the spam there. Your new format encourages it like the same format does in other places.

·
Grey Friar
723 Posts
Also, what is leading ALL these people to post technical questions in this section??? Its as though they don't know there are so many better places to ask... places specifically made for their type vehicle, and even a "general tech question" section.

·
__________/\__
2,153 Posts
Its almost as if the new format is better suited for spamming.
Hmm...
The new format is not suited for anything productive. Spam like crazy, navigation is awful, blinding white space. Please don't tell me about dark mode. They are stubborn and not going to change it back. And if you drive away the guys who have contributed to this site, you will be left with a bunch of newbies asking each other for help. Oh and don't forget, they now want you to pay for premium membership so you can continue contributing your time for no pay.

·
Grey Friar
723 Posts
Yeah, it's too bad. The site used to be primarily about information, community, and outreach for both car owners and parts/tuning vendors. The site made money through vendor contracts, and people were happy to volunteer time to keep the site from being compromised by trolls, spam, and harmful/wrong advice. It was also a place to have a small voice, trying to inform Ford management that they missed a BIG opportunity by not selling the Mk1 RS here (too bad they didn't listen sooner, by the time they did, the brand was in decline and it was too late).

The site was formed during the heyday of the Focus, great handling car, easy to mod, also winning WRC races all the time. Now that there is not as much money to be made, via willing vendors, and Ford has pulled the plug on making Foci, the only thing left is for web marketers to "pick it's bones".

RIP. I hate to say it, although dying a spam-death is an ugly way to go, it is perhaps better than killing the site outright and making all advice archival.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I go to other sites that have this same witless format, they are getting spammed monstrously as well. Lots of foreigners trying to figure out how to cheat or get others to do their research papers in college.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Click on 'What's New' today and see the first 10 spam messages in a foreign language and about different colleges.

You people have lost control of this site.

·
Grey Friar
723 Posts
I don't think the new owners ever wanted to have control of the site, just a little cash flow from advertisers. I don't know if it's my ad-blocker, or if it's the 'dark mode', but I am getting far less pop-ups and inter-thread ads than I used to. I suppose it's also possible that advertisers are simply dropping off. Unfortunately, the 'gateway' is wide open for the site to receive faux-new-members... spammers.

It seems the web owners may actually want it that way, because, number of new threads = more site 'hits', and more site hits = more revenue required from advertisers. Every new thread that's created is worth 3 page changes, and every new "member" results in even more page changes... every page change is a hit. Spammers make the site look more popular and active than it has become, overall, the reduction in site popularity is partially due to this ugly new format... ironically, the most recent slide is completely due to this ugly new format.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are right of course. It's the lies you get about 'how much better the site is' that stick in my craw. The gimmicks to challenge the easily distracted to then mess with people used to getting things done with far less overhead to have to wade through.

The site was redesigned to make you click more to get anything done. Websites for the witless. Look at the posts now, they ask for everything yet never tell you anything to help themselves like most thoughtful people looking for a real cure to a problem would. It's teaching lemmings to work on cars. I feel stupid for even trying it. They tell you not to waste intelligence where it is not valued.................

·
Grey Friar
723 Posts
I just read the latest update, seems they are making spam protection more robust. We'll see how well it works. I'd like to believe I've been being too cynical, and that the change in the revenue stream (from vendor sales to ad hits) on this site, and other sites like this, is unfortunately inevitable. Vendor charges have to be reduced (vis-a-vis inflation) when product sales reduce, or you end up with less vendors than you would have had. Even so vendors will drop off when their sales drop below a survival amount.

I wonder how much Tom pays the site now, verses how much he paid in the tuning heyday of Foci... in adjusted dollars.

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At this point the only thing I look for is a software update for brains, anything else is too little too late.

·
Grey Friar
723 Posts
Yeah, the whole format of crushing the text to one side, while leaving a huge space for ads on the other side is a visual nosedive into oblivion for many sites. For instance, if I click on a link to something and the page opens with a lot of bouncy ads or pop-up video, or endless click-baits, I close it and look elsewhere for the same information. It's not just me, my kids use cellphones rather than laptops, and they avoid things that result in endless scrolling, in favor of cleaner locations. Too many web-site "engineers" are just following the cookie-cutter crowd (like other lemmings), to fool themselves into believing the ad-crap is the wave-of-the-future and there is no use trying to resist it. Advertising is a thing that's here to stay, but the websites that base their existence on ad-space are not, because the other thing that is here to stay is CHOICE. Unless all access to a certain kind of information is controlled by one entity (like the Chinese government tries to do now), people will find what they want to know in the place they are most comfortable with. Easily fooled teenagers are not the most sustainable market segment to try to appeal to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts