Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
wheel spacers will only allow you to run wider tires. but you still have to be carefull w/ rubbing.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
A spacer will only reduce offset numbers and increase the distance between the wheel/tire combo and the suspension (usually the shock or strut). At the same time it reduces the distance between the tire and the fender lip or fender liner. This is where most rubbing occurs. Unless you can flare the fenders and beef up the hub assembly (more stress will be placed on the wheel bearings) most spacers afford little benefit.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Sometimes..... it really depends on the thickness of the spacers and the wheel flange thickness. You want the lug nut to catch a lot of threads not just a few. You need at least 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch (beyond the nuts seat on the wheel) for proper threading and torquing. The more the better but sometimes the length is also dictated by the style of the lug nut as well since a closed end nut can only be threaded on so far before it bottoms out. Naturally there's not much of a problem with an open ended lug nut

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
only real thread i found about wheel spacers.... i was curious what were people thoughts were...
i like these for the fact i dont have to get new studs http://www.2kracing.com/Product/20656.html

but i also think if i got the actual spacer type that sat inbetween the hub and wheel and got extended studs i would feel more safe...

i mean i like going into on/off ramps and get those g's up there so i dont wanna have to worry about my wheel flying off in the back of my mind

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
yea but im keepin the stockers, least for a while...so i was just thinking what the safest out of those two would be

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
what kind of offset would rub really bad?? say +40??

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
naw...my old set of wheels were a 45 offset and were still fine...kinda were i wanna be with these cause they were flush with the fender so it looked nice

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
i have 17x7 with a 42 offset and they are fine.

possibly down the road i may get some 17x8 with a 20 offset from discount tires.. would need to flare the fenders a lot though to get it to work. it wouldnt be any closer to the suspension, but itd be an inch farther out towards the fender. course with 235/40 tires they would be .5" shorter which would help

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
well thank you, thank you, thank you.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
well sorry i read it wrong. . . what about +35??? please say no, it will be fine.

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
well if i had a 45 offset and streetracer had a 42 im gunna say your fine

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
hint of sarcasm?[confused]

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
just a hintttt [poke]