365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
that unit is very much similar to the Infinity Basslink...
Not bad, and it's a space saver...

If you don't want an absurb amount of bass, just a litter extra thump... then it would be a great purchase.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i'm just speculating what to get for my birthday in a couple months. i'm still trying to get rid of my audiobahn subs, so if anyones interested in fairly cheap 10s, check the for sale threads.

the main reason i'd like to get a good powered enclosure is because i think it would be cheaper than buying a sub box and a proper amp to push the load. my legacy amp is shite and i hate it with a passion.

has anyone actually heard various styles of powered enclosures, like the audiobahn or the kenwood one? infinity is always trustworthy, but a little pricey.

·
Registered
548 Posts
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1390

From the site
"Ford’s cool little hatchback is not only fun to drive, but functional as well. This is why we worked hard to tuck our Stealthbox® into a tiny corner of the hatch to keep your cargo space virtually intact. Inside the Stealthbox® is a powerful, 300 watt 10-inch subwoofer capable of delivering high quality, high impact sub-bass with any kind of music. Combined with any of our drop-in coaxial and component speakers, the Stealthbox® will make you smile every time you dial the volume up. "

someone must have driven a focus!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have the Infinity Basslink in my ZX3 and it's perfect. Nice tight bass, plenty to make the mirrors shake. I have an aftermarket Kenwood head unit that lets me control the frequency going to the Basslink and that def. helps. I'd recomend it to anyone, even the rap fans. I listen to metal and have it turned down a bit, just enough to add some punch to the metal, but if you crank it up it is plenty for a bass fan, or rap/hip hop/ dance, techno, that sort.

Get one! Easy to install, nice and compact 200 watts.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'll look into both of those. thanks for the info, guys. cliff: how much did you pay for yours? there are two on crutchfield. and tacos: deffo on the "must have driven a focus!"

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The Basslink sounds pretty good. I haven't actually heard it inside a car, just inside where I work. As far as the JL Stealthbox goes, they can be very pricey. i've never heard the Focus' Stealthbox, but the one in my dad's car (94' 300ZX) comes with the 10W6v2 (I believe it's a few models up from the one that comes in the box for the Focus)...and it sounds incredible. If you are a DIY'er, you could build your own box to fit in the hatch. That is what I did and stuffed it with an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12VQ. Here's a picture of it (the box could be much smaller and still be effective, so you could save even more hatch room).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow...that looks really good. that might be an option to consider. my audiobahns would deffo not fit very well in something like that, though...the magnet's too damn big.

what materials did you use, pkmgarf?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I believe I paid just inder $300 for the unit, and about $50 for a wiring kit and new RCA cables. Got it all at Circuit City. I believe they have a newer version out, Basslink 2 perhaps, little more power. I have the original, and in a hatch it is right on. Perfect levels, I just screwed it into the spare tire cover with some hand screws, so I can move it out of the way in a pinch. Usually don't need too though, it's well protected and I've dumped stuff right on top of it. THe speaker is shielded with a nice grate.

It was the best MOD I've done so far I think. Gives me the most satisfaction when I pop in 5 Minutes Alone by Pantera and shake my lunch right outta my stomouch!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The box is made out of a combo of wood and fiberglass. The back portion (the part that is molded to match the interior panel of the trunk where that indent is on the right side) is fiberglass laid over a chickenwire frame. That back piece was then mated to the wood pieces (front/top/bottom/side facing the seat/other side) by laying another layer of fiberglass over the back panel and over the wood panels (hope that made a little sense). Then the outside is covered in carpet.

You'd be suprised how big of a magnet will fit. I don't know what Audiobahns you have, but the magnet on the 12VQ is a decent size. It took some work, but was worth it in the end. Oh, and my amp is mounted on the other side of the hatch like this...(but you can hide that just about anywhere to save more space).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm....i'd still like to get something smaller. my prob is that i have a dog kennel that i have to pack in the hatch for my beagle (i'll be damned if i'm letting him run all over my black seats!), hence the dillemma

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^As I said, my box could be much smaller than it is and still be effective. Actually, it turned out much bigger than I originally planned (it was only going to stick out about 1/2 as far into the hatch as it does). If you get a sub that has a shallow mounting depth, or build the box so the front (part facing the hatch area) flares out, you should have no problem.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
thats the q, logic stealth box. its alright, but not the best. i went the wild route and got a box that mounts to the spare tire well and holds 2 thens, but then again i never really used my trunk. moste it ever held was a backpack,lol.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Had I known of the Q box, I would have probably got it. However, I don't think it was around when I made mine. It's a good box, but the volume seems a little small at .65 ft^3. That and it will only hold a ten. Still...you can't beat the looks of it...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts