Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up all. I just got all my spa turbo stuff in today, minus a downpipe, but I'm excited to get everything in order. I have the AEM Boost controller, guage type. I've never installed a turbo before so this is all new to me, but my buddy and I are mechanically inclined and are going to instal this ourselves. My question with this is, the boost hose coming out the back of the guage says it gets hooked up to "MANIFOLD PRESSURE", is that the same as turbo pressure. Also, the SPA turbo doesn't have a fitting on the side for "turbo pressure". I'm a little confused on that too. Does anyone have any advice. hit me back plese.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Manifold pressure is the pressure in the manifold and in my opinion is the best place to hook up the boost gauge. Some people tap in right after the turbo but theoretically you may have a little pressure drop by the time it gets to your manifold.

·
Registered
755 Posts
the directions that come with the gauge are AWFUL! You can splice into a factory line with a T and your good to go. Actually, I tapped into my BOV vac line for my boost gauge. Are you going to use the boost controller part? If so, good luck. I cant get mine to work real well.
The only way mine will work is to plug the lil whole on top the SPA waste gate and hook up a VAC line to No 1 and a line from No. 2 to the top fitting on the waste gate. Still, the boost is a little weird, I sit it at 12 and it goes from 11 to 13. Which I guess is 12 average. LOL Good Luck!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Forgot, remember when under boost a VAC line turns into a pressure line.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the directions that come with the gauge are AWFUL! You can splice into a factory line with a T and your good to go. Actually, I tapped into my BOV vac line for my boost gauge. Are you going to use the boost controller part? If so, good luck. I cant get mine to work real well.
The only way mine will work is to plug the lil whole on top the SPA waste gate and hook up a VAC line to No 1 and a line from No. 2 to the top fitting on the waste gate. Still, the boost is a little weird, I sit it at 12 and it goes from 11 to 13. Which I guess is 12 average. LOL Good Luck!
Where did you hook up the BOV Vac Line. I'll do it like that. Thanks for the info for the wastegate, that was a little confusing.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
just hook all boost reference lines to the manifold. you will not loose any pressure because of the ic and pipes. bov is hooked to the manifold.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
What I did is make one "T" in a factory vac line. Then had a section long enough for the WasteGate, BOV, J&S, BAP, Boost Gauge, and whatever else you have.

I made sure to place the Gauge at the end of the line. So If something would come loose I would know immediately by no pressure/vac to the boost gauge.

(Manifold VAC LINE) -------T---------(Manifold VAC LINE)
.....................................l WasteGate
.....................................l BOV
.................................... l
.....................................l J&S
.....................................l BAP
.....................................l
.....................................LBoost Gauge

You can see if any of those fails the boost gauge will know first.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Good idea with the vacuum block. Those are real handy.

I would ditch the AEM boost controller. My friend used one on his WRX and it cost him a motor due to boost spiking for no reason. Hit 24psi and went kaboom on the dyno. Nobody (around here at least) has ever been able to get one to work correctly.

Whatever you end up going with make sure to tap into the manifold as the previous poster said as you will get some pressure drop especially if your using a FMIC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts