Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has ever had any soundstream products? I used to have a Soundstream SPL Mule Sub in my CRX and it destroyed every panel in the hatch. I am only asking because I have a friend who can get me awesome deals on the stuff and I can get a full system minus the HU for around 800 without shipping. This includes:

Sub, Comp set in F, Coax set in R, 4ch amp and mono amp. I heard the stuff before but was just wondering what everyone elses thoughts were.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Me too, me too! I haven't heard Soundstream stuff before - I was wondering about their amps specifically, there's a guy on eBay that I bought my HU from and he seems to have good prices on Soundstream amps. Picasso and Rubicon, I don't know much about those lines, I've read that Soundstream is supposed to be pretty good stuff?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both of those series amps are awesome from what I have been told. All of their speakers are either 2 or 3 ohm too so it will makle the amp produce a little more power.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Huh, okay cool. From what I've read it sounds like some people go by the philosophy of Soundstream for the highs and something else (like Rockford Fosgate) for the lows. I dunno, I'm still deciding what I'm going to do with the speakers/amps. Anywho I'm sure Scott will find this thread eventually and have a good answer for you! [:D]

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
i hooked my brother up with a soundsteam 4 channel edge series amp. two places i know have great amazing prices on this stuff. www.millionbuy.com and www.sonixelectronix.com but millionbuy is generaly about $10-20 cheaper although sonix has a couple more of their amps that millionbuy doens't have or doens't have in stock. but from what i hear, stay away from the rubricon series amps. check reviews online, enter a product model that is rubricon on google and read the reviews, not too good. and i've heard the same from forums. but my brother's amp sounds great powering a 12 and two speakers. defiantely worth the moeny in my opinion. i know their older products are great quality too. my friend gave me a broke soundstream amp to try to repair and the circuitry and componets used are good quality. the reason it's broke is form user error it looks like. i'm sure their other products are good quality too. what specific model speakers are you looking at?

- Scott

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
See, what did I tell ya? Scott you found this fast. If the Rubicon is no good, how about the Picasso? I like the idea of the all-in-one amp that has 5-channels, but I'm guessing you'll recommend against that. Sorry to hijack your thread, jisturm...

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Sub is the R12SQ
Fr: CONV.5 Components
R: SST5.7
RUB 500/1 and RUB600/4 for amplification. Might try the Picasso series first though.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
i've actualy heard alot of good things about picasso amps, the davinci and tarantula amps are supposed to be great, i know people that buy mcintosh amps (ones going for $3,000+) were buying these things becuase they were a great value. i tihnk ebay has the best prices on those amps. any edge series amps go to millionbuy, that's where you save the most.

that sub looks pretty good, xmax of 16.57, but i have to say it doens't look that impressive, i guess i'd have to hear it. like i said, might want to stay awayt from rubricon on those amps. i coulnd't find any info on those componets though, what's stopping you from getting the 6 inch componets? the other sets of compoents i saw look good thoguh, the edge series has horn loaded tweeters, pretty interesting. you could always ask for some opinions from www.caraudioforum.com , if you catch it at the right time (if you get lucky enough, it's basically 50/50) you'll get someone to answer and the more people willl answer and you'll be all good.

- Scott

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm looking at going with soundstream also ... but I question the amount you're paying for used equipment. Check out eBay - their 4ch Trantula amp is going for $399 brand new in a box from a reputable merchant ... it retails for nearly $1000.

In my opinion, Soundstream ranks up there with Phoenix Gold ... and in my mind Phoenix Gold is the absolute best. I like an amplifier manufacturer who still uses REAL RMS ratings when saying how much power an amp has. Any company that say their amp puts out 1200W and then says it's 50WRMS/ch and 2 ohm stable is trying to sell their equipment to people that don't know any better. Phoenix Gold sells top shelf stuff, and Soundstream is right there with them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im not sure where the bad reviews of the rubicon series came from. In fact I have seen nothing but top notch reviews specifically for the Soundstream Lil Guy amps. I am running 2 of the Soundstream rubicon series in my current setup. I am VERY pleased with the performance of the both of them. And keep in mind that im not one who is impressed easily. In my previous sound systems I stuck with my brands of choice for amps--Precision Power and Xtant---and back in the day, Orion. The rubicons are a great bang for the buck IMO. They match up very well with the speakers in my car (JL XR series components and a 8w3v2). Figured I would post to give a actual owners opinion. [thumb]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts