Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd make a new thread that I havn't seen b4 so if its up...my bad I aint gonna look past page 2 ;)...anyways what, if anything do you have done to your car, system wise, and how do you like it...could it be better? well thats a stupid q cause anything could be better, but would you want better? meh thats kinda stupid to...well jsut say if its good or not! :) Also just tell us what yah got!
Me I have stock speakers and 6-cd-changer...I have 2 12 inch kicker comps in the back powered by a 400 watt amp...I want louder yes cause the amp just aint too great...ppl hear me from 2 blocks away, so they say, when I don't have it even close to as high as it could go...it's at like 2/5...when I get higher though I dunno if its the amp or whatnot but it starts to mad distort...so I keep it kinda low for now although ppl say they can hear me from 2 blocks away so I dunno how low that is but oh well I want louder and less distortion!!!
-Joe

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've got a shatty aftermarket head unit that I only got for the rca out and the fact that the entire face lights up red at night and looks really cool. Then, I've got a 400watt amp powering a cheapy 12" jensen. The sub and amp were pretty cheap, but actually sound pretty darn good in my opinion. I have friends who spent a lot more money on subs and amps, and they don't even sound as good. I'm happy with the way the subs sound, but the head unit and stock speakers need to go.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
OEM setup is perfectly fine for me. I have the OEM MP3 player, and thats the only requirement I had. (Last focus, had to install a Kenwood MP3 player) Everything else sounds great, and I'd rather spend my money on go-fast parts.

·
Registered
121 Posts
id just get the head unit and some subs, i think that u don't really need new speakers!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I have the audiophile system.. works great for me, as I don't need the brainless shithop noise, rock and roll is great by me and the audiophile system with it's 80 amp powered sub woof is perfect

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've got stock system + 600w JBL amp w/ 2 AlpineR12 subz. It makes my ears ring and causes me to cramp up every now and again, but I think I could double the amp/subz and be happy (but I'd need an EQ to turn them down because I already have trouble hearing anything but bass!). "I swear!! Nothing I do is ever enough!!"..lol
I want a custom box to reclaim my hatch space!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am interesed in starting to put a system into my car. I'm looking to see who's the best to go with and people's opinions. Help me out here??
~Tiffany

·
Registered
845 Posts
the Focus speakers are good, so all you'll need are subs/amp and head unit. If you want more highs, put in tweeters, but there's no need to replace the stock speakers...they put out plenty of mid range to mid-high range. They are descent on bass too, but too much bass through anything other than subs will wear the speaker out fast. I don't turn my bass up past "0"

·
Registered
845 Posts
Eclipse is one of the best head units, but it's cost represents that. Alpine is good too. I've burned out a lot of mtx subs, so don't buy those if you plan on pushing them hard (unless it's a thunder 8000). the alpine R12's I've listed above are excellent duel voice coil subs (very accurate bass for both rock and rap and get really loud without distortion...of course all subs have their limits). I really like my JBL amp and it seems to put out more power than listed in it's specs. It's also probably the best amp for the $$$. You may be satisfied with a single sub setup with a high powered sub like a top line JL, Alpine, Infinity kappa perfect (not kappa), or Rockford Fosgate. Get a JBL 600watt amp and a single sub with 500-600rms power handling (1000-2000watt peak). Maybe a female can help you with the tweeter selection. I can't distinguish a lot of the high sounds (because I'm a guy, and that's biology) between one tweeter or another making the same sound. To me they are all equal, and I'd just match them to the power I'm willing to give them regardless of name brand.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a kenwood HU and its great! But of course its all personal taste. There all gonna have different features and displays

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well, for me the first thing was to completely rip out the stock system and replace it. Currently I have an Alpine HU and 5 channel V12 amp, Boston Acoustics ProSeries 5 1/4" components front and rear, Boston Acoustics Neo5t ambient tweeters, JL Audio stealthbox (10" W3V2 sub), Monster Cable extra low noise cabling all around with a 1 farad digicap.

Right now I'm very happy with it, got many compliments that for clarity and sound quality it beats many high-end factory systems from Bose and Harman-Kardon in Audis and Porshes - owners told me [:D]

The problem is that I got hooked, so I already have some plans on how to improve it and what to get next. If I do change it it will be a major overhaul, maybe for some nice 3-way set-up, but now for the time being I focus on performance, at least doing the basic bolt-ons [thumb]

Tiffany, what would you like from your set-up? How much are you willing to spend on it? In any way, I would recommend starting with a nice head-unit, like an Alpine, Pioneer, Eclipse, Kenwood or Clarion. They all make very good units, so choose at least a mid-range unit or if you can afford a higher-end one in the 300 dollar range.

After that, you can go all out and replace the speakers (components to the front, coax back) add amps and one or more subs. Or you can see how you like the new HU on the stock speakers. The HU alone will make a significant difference ;) The stock speakers can handle about 22 Watts RMS, but as you turn them up they start to distort and they can't really handle bass on higher volume levels. Anyway, let us know your plans.

·
18,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yah for anyone who has new speakers make sure you get a bass nob...its true if u put too much bass to u'r speakers they'll blow faster... I put the sub lvl on the head unit I got now (stock) to 0 and use my bass nob to crank up the subs...20 dollar option thats bad ass cause I have mine hidden under the steering wheel....when cops drive by and turn around u can just put the shit all the way down on the bass nob and then no matter how high u put it on u'r hu it won't be that loud so u can say it musta been someone else...had to do that once...also u can impress ppl u drive next to in their shitty ricer cars that don't know what a bass nob is and can crank u'r subs w/out even touchin the deck and they look at u like u'r god and like wtf?!?!?!? Had that happen a bunch of times also! its cool ;)
-Joe
PS: I'd go with a pioneer head unit but all the others every one else said are good also..I have 2 kicker comps that were used b4 I got em (got em from sister bf) and they sounded well even used,,,I'd get the square kickers though, I 4got what they're called...the 12's sound like 15's cause they put out that nmuch power and the 10's like 12's etc....easy way to save space if you want to make it sound like u got a 12 with a 10...u could also go with jl though cause my friend has two of those and they sound preety good,,,hes got a kenwood amp and I have a coustic...both to me are decent although I know jak about amps, just how it sounds and they sound good...it's now up to how much u wanna spend! Good luck ladies!
-Joe

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I got my wagon the crap OEM cassette unit and speakers were the first things to go.

Ive gradually upgraded the ICE as I could afford it (3 kids and a mortgage swallows most of my moolah)

My setup now consists of a Sony MP70 mp3 head unit, Sony 10 disc changer, Sony Infra red remote control

Kenwood 749 4 ch amp, Kenwood 729 2 ch amp, JL 12W3v2 sub in a sealed enclosure, Focal Polyglass components up front and Pioneer 683 3 way custom fits in the rear doors

Ive recently had a practical boot build installed so I keep most of my trunk space, have access to my spare wheel and the ICE is protected [:D]

Cool sounds big bass and practicality...Im happy[:)]

Davydave[8D]

·
Registered
845 Posts
sry joe, but no 10 sounds like a 12. Not a single one. They don't hit the same frequencies with the same force. Also, the square kickers are cute, but it's just a marketing scheme...if square were infact better than round speakers, they all would have been square years ago. There's no copy right on the shape of the cone (round/square), so why don't other manufacturers do this? Their copy right is in the details of the speaker design, such as the ridges on the surround and designs on the dust cap. Kickers are good, but their name and style is more popular than their performance. I'm glad you like your setup though, and don't think I'm trying to give ya hell.

·
Registered
845 Posts
davydave...is that sub set in it's own box behind the seats? about how much airspace does it have? is it ported? I have one amp and two subs, so I think the vise versa of yours would be great!! Could you shed a little light for me about how you have it boxed in?

·
Registered
35 Posts
GonFishin

the sub is set in its own sealed box, the work was done by a local ICE shop. The boot build consists of the sub box and 2 custom amp racks either side[:)]

Im not sure of the actual enclosure capacity but that 12 certainly kicks like a mule[B)]

Davydave[:)]

·
18,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well people told me the 10's hit like 12's and I heard em and I think they do...maybey i'm wrong who the hell knows? anyways I like u'r sub enclosure and stuff davydave, its badass! and maybey I'm just stupid (ok I am in some ways) wthell is ice? I knew b4 but I forgot and havn't remembered since...hmmm...yah I need to learn some stuff ;)
-Joe

1 - 20 of 78 Posts