Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 ST ZX4. Not a bad car.. aside from the horrific road noise and crap sound system.
It has the 6disc standard system, no sub. It DOES have the radio controls on the left side of the steering column... and I'd like to maybe retain them..

Can I add the sub included with the audiophile? What are my options with what I have vs. looking to rip it all out and start from scratch...

IE, will better speakers make much of a difference with the OEM HU?

I don't want to add a box or any of the stuff from my adolescence periods.. my hearing is already starting to go. :)

Just fishing for info before I start ripping out the old stuff... Kind of like a cost proposal/justification to the wife.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just got this but havent put it in yet. Cleans up the factory system and adds an aux input as well.
http://www.reqsound.com/
Will be adding a 4 channel amp, front components and upgrading the 8" sub in the factory enclosure.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the same car you have, same stereo, but somehow mine came from the factory with the 8" sub, 110 watt amp, and the heavy duty battery. but no Sony Audiophile system. It does make a big difference having the sub hooked up. For comparison I have a 2003 ZTS with the six disk but no sub. Lots more bass!

·
Registered
433 Posts
When I did the digging for my 2003 ZX3 it would require running an extra harness and finding the box and panel to cover it. If you are wanting to just add a sub, it will make a huge difference. I believe you will get a better sounding subwoofer and be able to do it much more cheaply by adding a box and aftermarket sub and amplifier. You will be surprised how much clearer sound you will get by swapping out the stock speakers with aftermarket ones. I ran my factory head unit (different one than you had but still not the audiophile) with new front speakers and an aftermarket amp/sub/box set up for two years till my factory head quit ejecting cd's and I put in a nice kenwood.

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
If you want to retain the factory look but have a great sound system you really need to look into a sound processor. like one from either JL audio or Rockford Fosgate. there are many other brands but I remember these off the top of my head.

couple that with a nice 4 channel amp for your doors and a mono subwoofer, then you will have a very good quality system. providing you use good brands for the components.

Now if you want just a little more umph just use a Line-out convertor and add an amp with a sub then you will increase the sound of your system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts