Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help in getting my stereo build off the ground. I'd doing this piecemeal, to start I'm probably just going to replace the speakers, then add in the processor later, and finally a sub/amp.

Priority #1 with this is sound quality (within my budget constraints, of course). I don't need it to be super loud, I just want good quality sound. Also, this is going into my Mustang, it has 2 door speakers and 2 rear speakers.

It looks like I can fit 5 1/4" round speakers, or 6x8" speakers. I only have factory mounts for the four speakers, no tweeters or anything. Given that, I'm not inclined to go through the trouble of mounting a separate tweeter, I'd like a 2 or 3 way speaker instead of component.

Any help on what sounds good? I can go up to $200/pair, but I'd prefer right around $100-120. Also open to advice on a speaker amp and sound processor to connect to the head unit (seriously considering the MS-8).

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Either use 6x8/6.5" adapter plates or just go with the 6x8. Honestly, if you're dead set on using a coaxial mount system in the factory locations, I'd just do a quality set of 6x8"s and call it a day. Infinity Kappa or Alpine Type-R should be cheap and easy to find. But your budget should allow for Focal, Hertz or Rainbow if you can swing em.

If you're really and truly serious about putting sound quality first, don't immediately cut your own throat by limiting yourself by bolting into factory locations.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with coaxial speakers, if you have no plans to go active/bi-amp. But mounting a tweeter a bit higher than the woofer would help pull the soundstage up off the floor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts