Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a big difference between sound when u take the lil resonator out of the air box and the AEM CAI?? how big of a difference in sound, like deeper? louder?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
The AEM CAI is louder and sounds a helluva lot better than just removing the resonator, makes the car sound mean and pissed off at WOT!! hehe

There is no comparison really.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
^^^ Yep, that is the $64K question. lol .... I got my AEM CAI because I wanted better performance and I will say that it did make a difference and I really noticed that it helps in the hot summertime here in Houston. Sure I still get heatsoak when sitting in stop and go traffic but the CAI still helps. And yeah, the sound is to die for!! hehe

·
Registered
450 Posts
Since the question has been answered, i wont feel to bad hi-jacking this thread...

Where does everyone's filter rest with the AEM cai? Mine seems to hang down a little bit below the bumper, I can see like 1-2" below the bumper.. is that normal?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for jackin my thread haha no no its strait but no im not buying the intake for sound i just asked the questiong becaues i want to know wat im in for wheni get it....u know u put the intake on with like a buddy u start it up and stuff, i just wanna be like "yup thats the AEM, i know its sweet, and i know u like it and want one" ahhahhaah

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
I've done both, and the AEM is louder. And deeper. But, it will also do that high-pitched sort of whistling sound that you won't get with the resonator mod. The whistling sound tends to get old on long drives on the freeway with the window down, because every throttle adjustment results in a little "whhssst" noise.

Also my filter is not visible below the bumper, you can only see it if you bend down and look up under the bumper.

·
Registered
450 Posts
hmm mine must be mounted wrong some how, i'll look at it tomorrow and try to wiggle some adjustments out if it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
hey whats wrong with the high pitched whistling sound i love it i tap the gas all the time just to hear it lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
i noticed a definate difference in mine..well i got my exhaust and intake at the same time, but the CAI had to be shipped, and as soon as i put it on, i noticed my powerband was so much higher...it just keeps sucking and sucking...definately worth the money

·
Registered
183 Posts
i dont mean to jack the thread either, but it was mentioned in this thread... what do you mean about take'n out the resonator? What is that and what does it do, i'm new with my SVT and i hope its not that dumb of a question. if it is, well, i'm a f uck wad then.

also, does it add to the performance?

·
Registered
183 Posts
ok, disregard my last post... i did some research and found out what the "resonator" was, that little snorkel like think comeing out of the stock intake box. It sounds a hell-ova lot deeper and meaner, but i was wondering... does taking that little thing out add, or subtract performance... was that kinda acting like a mini CAI?

Again, i hope i dont sound like to much of a retard. :eek:)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Venom713 said:
does taking that little thing out add, or subtract performance
the difference would be negligable... dont even sweat it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
99bajakid said:
hmm mine must be mounted wrong some how, i'll look at it tomorrow and try to wiggle some adjustments out if it.
mine did the same thing. loosen up the couplers, and then, move the bottom until its straight. note, this does take some time, but move it until its straight, then, tighten the couplers. its just slightly twisted is all. mine was like that, and i was like wtf? this is retarded...and then i had to replace my TPS, and when i did, i made up my mind that it would go on perfect, and it did. just play with it a little.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Mine also hung farely low. Like Silverstreak said, you can slide up some of the couplings to move them around. Either way, its still going to be low. Also, I never noticed any real increased noise at highway speeds. To me its just the whistle you get from cracking the throttle around town that gets annoying. But I love the WOT scream.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts