Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a Fosgate 551 amp and a JL Audio ProWedge (2 10" W3v2 subs) in my 00 ZTS. I few times i noticed the music cut off when I am listening. It might shut off for a second or two and then continue. Any ideas what is causing this problem? My Head Unit is a Sony MP-70

·
Registered
571 Posts
is the amp only running the subs, or the door speakers as well? if its only running the subs and the music is cutting out completely, its not gonna be the amp.
if the amp is running the door speakers, and the music cutting out but coming back on, it is not the ground. if you lose your ground connection for a second, the amp will not turn back on when the ground connection comes back. you would need your remote turn on wire to shut off/ on for this to happen.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The amp is only running the Subs, via bridged. When the sound cuts off, all the speakers cut out. I noticed my break lights dim some when the subs kick hard, could it be an issue of drawing to much power?

·
Registered
571 Posts
when the sound cuts off, does it look like the HU is losing power? (ie the lights on the deck go out for as long as the sound is cutting out..) if it is, that could be caused by the amp drawing to much power in an extreme case. how often does it happen? how often after the deck is turned on does this start to happen? It could possibly the deck overheating. was this HU installed in the car before the subs/amp? if so did this ever occur before the sub/amp install? How long after the sub/amp install did this start happening?

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
what is the impedance on those subs? if you don't know check the manual or info that came with them. if i remember correctly, the options for those subs are either dual 2 ohm, dual 4 ohm, or dual 6 ohm voice coils. how do you have them wired to the amp?

- Scott

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it appears to only happen in the most extreme of occurences. I noticed that when i had it cranked up pretty loud, the driving lights dimmed some. So i am thinking it most likely is a power issue. The HU was installed for a year before the amp and sub was installed.

The ohm rating for the subs is 4. the 551 is a two channel amp, which i have bridged.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
are your subs dvc or svc? and you say it's bridged? if they are svc subs then and your putting the amp in mono mode you would yeild an 8 ohm or 2 ohm load depending on if you have them connected in a series or parallel. if they are svc subs you should have one sub being run off each channel of the amp or else it ould cuase the amp to overheat (specialy RF amps) and shut off momentarilly. if they are dvc subs then make sure you have them wired right becuase depending on the wiring it would yeild 4 ohm or 1 ohm. http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard/

- Scott

·
Registered
34 Posts
If everything shuts off it's a deck problem if just the subs it's a sub amp problem. The deck could have a lot of reasons one is taht it doesn't have enough current to draw which is not likely since it draws probably less than 10 amps. It could be a deck ground or a short in the remote wire. There's a quite a few possibilities far what could couse it. Does it do it just when playing CD's or has it done it when listening to the radio (could be a read error if only CD's) you could also have a speaker lead shorted out. Like a said there's quite a few possibilities. I'd check the headunit ground and all the speaker leads, because it sounds to me like a short in the ouput of the deck. A short would cause it to cut the power to everything. Shorts can also exist in the speaker itself if you have a damaged voice coil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts