Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Thanks in advance for any help much appreciated.

So when the car is stopped, there is a sound that comes from the front of the car, both sides..the best way I would describe the sound is a quick knocking. However, the car only does this when in drive and stopped. When the car is in neutral, the sound is not there and usually when the car is warmed up after being driven around it tends to go away.

I have thought of things like the engine motor mount(I have replaced all 3 within the year), front when bearings(plan to replace both this weekend) and maybe the brake calipers on the disc.

Running out of ideas and anyone that has had the same problem and fixed it, or with any further ideas let me know !

Thanks

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Only poly mounts or, Motorcraft mounts are worth your money. All of the rest fail quickly

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Only poly mounts or, Motorcraft mounts are worth your money. All of the rest fail quickly
80,000 miles on my parts store mounts. Cost a third the price and have so far lasted a third as long as the factory mounts. If they failed tomorrow the only extra cost is an hour of my time...

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
Luck of the draw, someone sooner or later had to trip over a decent one. The last 4 I've had now have been bad, the last two rattled the second they were put on and got much better when I cut the bladder top to let all the oil out. Fancy that...........now have been through Anchor, DEA and Westar, all suck. No matter, I rebuild them to do much better.

OP seems to be describing the pass side mount as bad again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys..I did have the problem of the famous engine rattle which was fixed after replacing the motor mounts. The ones I replaced them with were made in India so not like they were the motorcraft ones. I guess that is what happens when you try to save a buck. I will replace them this weekend too and let you guys know how it went..

Again, thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Wheel bearings don't knock, they squeal or howl...or grind, eventually. And they don't make any noise when the car is stopped. Yours might need doing anyway, but they're not the cause of your current noise. Brake calipers are also unlikely, unless you have braking issues too.

I'd add my vote to motor mount, likely the passenger side one. When in drive but stopped, the idle speed is different than when in neutral, so you're likely hitting just the right vibration to make things knock.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Wheel bearings don't knock, they squeal or howl...or grind, eventually. And they don't make any noise when the car is stopped. Yours might need doing anyway, but they're not the cause of your current noise. Brake calipers are also unlikely, unless you have braking issues too.

I'd add my vote to motor mount, likely the passenger side one. When in drive but stopped, the idle speed is different than when in neutral, so you're likely hitting just the right vibration to make things knock.
Wheel bearings can definitely knock/clunk. My nephews Focus had a bad wheel bearing the sounded exactly like a bad/binding CV.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^ yeah, but when that bad you aren't rolling much further (grin)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts