Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on FocalJet, and I thought I'd post it here too just to get some more info.

Well I've been planning to build a fairly inexpensive turbo setup for my 2.0L non SVT Zetec for a while now, but I haven't done any major planning. My goal is to have somewhere around 200whp/200 ft.lbs. My current mods that probably wouldnt be coming off immediately when I install the not-yet purchased setup are just a 2.25" flex pipe and 2.25" exhaust. Eventually I'd upgrade to a bigger size, but I'm in college right now so money is tight. I'm probably gonna use an old T3 from ebay or something. I'd ideally like to intercool this, but that means more money. I have a few questions about this. One, how much boost should I run in order to reach my goal, 8-9psi? Two, would I need an intercooler to be safe with that amount? Three, would I need to get upgraded internals, say lower compression pistons and stronger rods? Any help would be appreciated.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
If your on a budget and still in school wait till you have the $ to do it right , If anything was to happen and you loose and engine do you have the funds to replace it

Doing a turbo cheap doesnt work well on the Focus , maybe look for a used complete kit

If you still want info i will be glad to answer your questions

Tom

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, info would be nice. I'm not spending more money than I have to. I know it can be done, I've seen numerous threads on diy projects like this.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
I cannot think of one person that has a DIY kit , started and finished it with proper tuning and has been driving it

Some one correct me if there is its very few

One, how much boost should I run in order to reach my goal, 8-9psi?
**Depending on turbo and how the kit is made 8 to 10 will reach your goal

Two, would I need an intercooler to be safe with that amount?
**You would be ok with 8 to 10 with proper tuning

Three, would I need to get upgraded internals, say lower compression pistons and stronger rods?
**No , this would help but do it after you go intercooler , tuning is the key to making it live

Tom

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about bluballer and his diy kit?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think Tom is just cautioning this guy and trying to steer him away from future headaches.. To build a nice DIY Turbo kit. 1- it would take a lot of researcha and some trial and error(that can be very expensive). 2 - if you do build a nice DIY kit it will end up costing almost as much as a bought kit (sometimes more due to the trial and error). But good luck in whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
1turbofocus said:
I cannot think of one person that has a DIY kit , started and finished it with proper tuning and has been driving it

Tom

I still am Tom, granted i'm on a ZX2, but I made my kit and have been improving it since the day I built it. It has had several hours on the dyno and tuned very well. I have little to no problems with my car. I think the biggest problem I have is that my exhaust rattled for a bit (now it's fixed) I actually just finished swapping out and putting in SVT internals. I'm going back to the dyno soon and see how much HP I can pull out. I have been running 10-12psi for the last couple hundred miles and loving it!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think someone was just trying to steer some business his way...... No offense, I probably would too, but I'd rather give out factual info than some exaggerated facts like the politicians do.

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
brummy said:
I think someone was just trying to steer some business his way...... No offense, I probably would too, but I'd rather give out factual info than some exaggerated facts like the politicians do.
tom doesnt make or sell tubo kits anymore so thats not the issue, hes just trying to help you out, check around the forums and ebay i saw a roush kit go for 1300 on ebay a month or two ago.

·
Registered
305 Posts
brummy said:
He was not steering you towards any product. He has more knowledge in building turbo kits than anyone here or on FJ...he was simply trying to help which is what he does for all of us here. But as posted above he stopped making kits. In fact he even tried to talk you into waiting all together or picking up a used kit...that is not going to make him any money.....[rolleyes]

·
Registered
217 Posts
1turbofocus said:

Tom

< = Do it yourself kit from start to finished, SCT tuning, Driving it all the time[thumb]

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Ok i stand corrected there are at least 2 DIY turbo kits finished and running our of the 200+ that started to build one over the last 4 years

DIY kit finished and running are very rare , Most people end up with more money spent then if they had bought a kit then end up selling it off before it was finished for far less money then they have in it

Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts