Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well proof positive I went from 13.5 to....get this 14.2! holy god this is the only car i've seen this much of a jump and I've done this to almost every car I've owned, all I/0 gauge :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
wow, cool, whatever you are talking about [dunno]

I am guessing that you added some grounds. Post some pics of how and where you mounted them to help the rest of us [:)]

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Posted via FF MobileMine averages 14.2 to 14.5 since I did mine. And you wouldn't have thought it makes that big of differnce but it does.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well proof positive I went from 13.5 to....get this 14.2! holy god this is the only car i've seen this much of a jump and I've done this to almost every car I've owned, all I/0 gauge :)
I take it you figured out the positive from the alt. lol

Did you end up going straight from alternator to positive on battery, and then the engine ground same as stock along as the other battery ground?

Also, did you leave in your stock wires? I noticed that when I first started up my car with my big 3 in 1/0 gauge wire that it read like 14.58V, or around there, and then a few minutes later dropped back down, but I think this was from disconnecting the battery and such, and same for when I first turned on my car after my new alternator was installed, it read really high. Now I sit below 14V at around 13.89V. Even when measured from alternator stud.

It sucks that the computer regulates the voltage and such, I can't even maximize my alternator output lol. Oh well.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
14.4 at the batt and 14.2 at the amps.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm having the same problem since the car regulates the voltage I'm only sitting at 13.5 13.6...again but it's almost constant...i kept the stock wiring intact just ran 2 grounds and one power all 1/0 gauge...some of these guys who are reading 14+volts must have factory freaks LOL!....I've been in contact with MLA and they are looking into a H/O alt for me :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm having the same problem since the car regulates the voltage I'm only sitting at 13.5 13.6...again but it's almost constant...i kept the stock wiring intact just ran 2 grounds and one power all 1/0 gauge...some of these guys who are reading 14+volts must have factory freaks LOL!....I've been in contact with MLA and they are looking into a H/O alt for me :)
I knew you would read in the 13's instead of the 14+ you said before lol. Yes, my voltage drop is only down to like 13.4V lowest at idle on bursts, but if it's a constant note it drops then goes back up to resting voltage while it's still playing, since the alternator has to have that second or two to up the voltage/current.

I have no voltage drop at all if I keep the rpm's at around 3k. This is all with a 270A alternator, that puts out 190-200A at idle! The only way to completely get rid of voltage drop at idle would be for me to get another battery or two. Right now I have a yellow top optima up front, a shuriken bt-100 in trunk, all 1/0 gauge, including big 3, 270A alt, and pumping around 2400 watts RMS to a XXX12 sealed from trunk into car area ported to around ~34Hz.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Does the voltage make that much of an improvement to the sounnd quality and loudness of a system? even a low powered system?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Does the voltage make that much of an improvement to the sounnd quality and loudness of a system? even a low powered system?
Well, yes it does affect your system, for instance, most amps are rated at 14.4V to put out the power they claim, so if you are below the 14.4V it will output less power, and if your voltage drops then it becomes harmful to your amps and may cause them to overheat or burn up or clip the sound output and harm your subs.

Even low powered systems are affected, but probably not if you have a real low powered system, say only 400RMS total, then your stock electrical probably doesn't even struggle to keep the voltage up. Just depends on your setup and your electrical upgrades and what not.

It can affect sound quality if your amp is clipping the signal, then it will sound distorted or choppy.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well, yes it does affect your system, for instance, most amps are rated at 14.4V to put out the power they claim, so if you are below the 14.4V it will output less power, and if your voltage drops then it becomes harmful to your amps and may cause them to overheat or burn up or clip the sound output and harm your subs.

Even low powered systems are affected, but probably not if you have a real low powered system, say only 400RMS total, then your stock electrical probably doesn't even struggle to keep the voltage up. Just depends on your setup and your electrical upgrades and what not.

It can affect sound quality if your amp is clipping the signal, then it will sound distorted or choppy.
Alright thanks for the help man only running a 350wat rms amp but thinking about installing a 4 channel amp so I was currious. I drive an 03 zx3 that doesnt have a volt meter in the dash anyway I can meter it?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Alright thanks for the help man only running a 350wat rms amp but thinking about installing a 4 channel amp so I was currious. I drive an 03 zx3 that doesnt have a volt meter in the dash anyway I can meter it?
Yeah you can measure it with a DMM(Digital Multimeter). I don't have any kind of voltage readout on my dash either, I just use my dmm when I want to view it.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
It is worth it IMO Mitch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts