Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I bought a 2014 Focus Titanium back in April and it has the handling package which included the 18" summer tires. Now that it is nearing colder times here in southern IN I am looking at options for my tire situation.

Would you recommend just buying some All Season tires and throwing them on, or would you go with a dual tire setup and get some Winters + wheel and switch twice a year.

Winters here don't ever get TOO bad, but we do get the occasional 1-4 inches of ice and snow. Big snows are very rare. My current tires only have about 3500 miles on them so they are still very new.

Lastly, if I do go with the winter+wheel option and just change them out, do I need to get the same size wheel as my current one? 18" winter tires are a bit pricey haha. I looked at some 15" Blizzak tires and wheels on Tire Rack and the price wasn't bad. It did have a note mentioning the tires were different sized from the OEM though. Wasn't sure if that would cause a problem. Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about cars. Still learning the finer details!

Thanks a lot for the help!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'd call those Blizzaks in 15" wheel size as listed by Tire Rack to be the ultimate for serious winter/snow driving for your car.

For your location/situation, the 16" size recommended would be be better for all around driving in the cold months - maybe a less aggressive snow tire brand/model as the Blizzaks have a rep for being rather soft with the best performance when they aren't worn too much. (and with more squirm on pavement) Others with your car have mentioned General Altimax Arctics as a good all around choice.

Living with a set of "steelies" for the Winter saves the nice wheels & tires for when you can enjoy them, and changeover is cheapest/easiest that way.

Winter & Summer sets are best IMHO for a car you plan to keep for a while. Changing tires is best only for a car you don't plan on using for more than a winter or two at most.

The 18's in an all season would be pitiful when compared to any real snow tire on a smaller wheel size when dealing with bad weather.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say "Steelies" I guess you are just referring to the standard low price ugly old steel wheels? lol

I don't have any problems doing that, but it is quite a bit more expensive then just swapping to some all season tires. Wanted to get a general consensus before spending the cash.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Oh yeah, "Fugly" for sure - though the style is actually catching on again, go figure!

There's a cost/benefit analysis involved for sure, and personal situation comes into play as well. If you can swap wheels yourself, it's a great advantage to have the second set. Not as much if you have to take them somewhere & pay for the work each time.

Still, mounting & balancing costs can often pay for those cheap wheels in less than two seasons - adding TP sensors would make it less of a bargain, another personal preference. Cheaper tires in the smaller wheel size, and better bad weather performance from the narrower ones all add into the picture.

Being from further north, ability to go without worries in all weather is a larger concern & a subject for plenty of discussion.

You should get more opinions in the course of the day, plenty of time yet to figure your best option.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, "Fugly" for sure - though the style is actually catching on again, go figure!

There's a cost/benefit analysis involved for sure, and personal situation comes into play as well. If you can swap wheels yourself, it's a great advantage to have the second set. Not as much if you have to take them somewhere & pay for the work each time.

Still, mounting & balancing costs can often pay for those cheap wheels in less than two seasons - adding TP sensors would make it less of a bargain, another personal preference. Cheaper tires in the smaller wheel size, and better bad weather performance from the narrower ones all add into the picture.

Being from further north, ability to go without worries in all weather is a larger concern & a subject for plenty of discussion.

You should get more opinions in the course of the day, plenty of time yet to figure your best option.
Haha, I know absolutely nothing about cars other then how to drive them so mounting the wheels and stuff myself seems a bit daunting. I will stop by the tire shop in town on the way home and get some pricing and information from them to see if I'm better off ordering on my own and whatnot. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gah, forgot to ask:

If I go with a smaller wheel like a 16, would that fit on my car ok even though it has 18's on it now? Probably a horrendously stupid question that will get me laughed at but yeah...Figured I'd go ahead and ask!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
NOT a silly question.

What will work on yours, wouldn't fit on a similar looking car like the ST model as it has larger brakes that a small wheel like those 15's definitely wouldn't clear.

TR is a great source for what will fit, beyond a source like that you'd be in the dark as without any references you wouldn't know for sure if your brakes are the same as a different model. Even particular wheels could be an issue in a size that otherwise would fit, so checking with a good source who's checked them is important.

You'd be fine with that "minus" size, it's used on lower spec models & will work with yours. The Ti change for the 18's involves a reduced turning radius to help insure the tires won't rub - the one drawback of that optional size.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the same car as you one year older. I purchased General altimax artic winter tires, size 205 55 16. I purchased new wheels/rims because I hate the look of steeliness. I chose size 205 55 16 because it best matched the look of my summer 18". I live in Ottawa Canada and I know snow. Snow started here late October and lasted until April. Having winter tires extends the life of your summer tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts