Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://flic.kr/p/KE5VQP and now I'm
Broken down on the side of the road. I can hit the accelerator, and nothing will happen. Put it in park and now it's stuck in park. I just got a new clutch in ~500 miles ago. And I just put coilovers on it so its lowered. This should be fun for the tow truck driver.... What causes this to happen? I've read the horror stories, but never thought it'd happen to me :'(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
https://flic.kr/p/KE5VQP and now I'm
Broken down on the side of the road. I can hit the accelerator, and nothing will happen. Put it in park and now it's stuck in park. I just got a new clutch in ~500 miles ago. And I just put coilovers on it so its lowered. This should be fun for the tow truck driver.... What causes this to happen? I've read the horror stories, but never thought it'd happen to me :'(

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
99.99% i've seen this here is a faulty TCM.

TCM is covered for 10 years...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't think there was a "Correct" decision. Once the TCM messed up I doubt any of your input really even changed anything

At least now you have the TCM replacement out the way, with new clutches too

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha well damn now you're making it seem like it's a good thing this happened lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Would you rather it broke now when you presumably were not on your way to work or anything super important (Since its 6PM on Saturday), Or in 2 years time after chewing through another set of clutches in the middle of nowhere ruining your day? I really do think its a good thing

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sucks man!

15B22 – Transmission Control Module Reprogramming -

Did this update do anything to warn people of this problem? Ill rather be alerted ahead of time for this issue then to be stranded far far away from home.

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
Really sucks being stranded because of the DCT...

It's sad because the MK3 is a wonderful/fun car when used with a manual transmission.

The DCT doesn't bring justice to the MK3 platform![thumbd]

·
Registered
497 Posts
If this is bound to happen to EVERY DCT mk3 focus out there. I know there is a shortage on this part also. But why can't they recall this part and get them changed in every car that hasn't had it changed yet.

Instead of waiting for it to fail and possibly leave you in a dangerous/deadly situation on the road.

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
If this is bound to happen to EVERY DCT mk3 focus out there. I know there is a shortage on this part also. But why can't they recall this part and get them changed in every car that hasn't had it changed yet.

Instead of waiting for it to fail and possibly leave you in a dangerous/deadly situation on the road.
I think Ford really need to receive a reality check from NHTSA to proceed on a recall. (i.e. car crashes & death due to this)

0 crash / 0 death related to the TCM =! recall

Don't forget... no recall are done on proaction!

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Missed this when first posted, working my way up from older ones in the list.

If you haven't yet, you can shut it down & restart for a likely temp. fix.

They usually work again once restarted the first time they screw up.

Yes ElCouz, the 15B22 is supposed to give more warning. How much and how often we don't know for lack of posts on warnings to date.

BmX - similar to every part on the car, they WILL give up eventually for all. No point doing a general replacement without a new design that significantly reduces rate of failure and increases average time before failure. It's currently at a fairly high average unlike some of the early ones that were replaced back in 2011.

·
Registered
497 Posts
@sailor
I thought they had a new design out that fixes the weak point in the original tcm?

They can't be replacing the tcm with the same broken design?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Early ones that crapped out fast for some were replaced with a new design long ago, most of that occurred in Fiesta production because we got those in 2011 unlike the Focus that came here a year after the introduction elsewhere.

How many updates since then is a question, no good info. here unlike the clutch revisions that have been tracked by multiple posts with part numbers and even some info. on the revisions (Like the one where the only change was including seals in the same package).

I say that they'll always break in the end because they include electric motors/sensors to actually shift the gears. Everything mechanical has a lifespan, electronics can have a longer one potentially beyond that of the car.

These have had both mechanical and electronic failures from what I see of reports here, no info. on a single common issue that can be addressed to eliminate them as a potential problem.

Most not failing until high mileage makes it harder to gather info., and that combines with nothing but guesses at the actual problem (since replaced under warranty) to make it hard to figure out what's really going on.

P.S. - I see now this landed in the MkIII Mods section, moved it to MkIII problems section where there's more info. avail..

·
Registered
497 Posts
So did the car start or did you get towed home??

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts