Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what of it? my black alt sonix SHATTERED into about 10 chunks only leaving 3 spokes left on the hub :( I have NEVER EVER hit anything in my life in a vehicle in the 4+ years I have been driving (im somewhat of a d-bag when I drive but im also very cautious to insure i dont hurt anyone or my car while messing around). Well my front end decided to push really badly around a corner i have taken 100 times before at the same speed with the same line...dont know if there was some grit on the road or what but i was doing 65-70 and smacked a curb dead on with the right side of the svt :( i just barely missed a tree (thank God!!!) but from what i could tell my problems are: Broken mirror- JACKED Front rim/rotor (also ripped the brake line out) the entire front right clip is about 9 inches back from where it should be :( so arms/rod/ quarter panel and who knows what else all have to get replaced. Not to mention the rear rim got pretty messed, and there are some sweet gashes/scratches on my front bumper and hood! the side airbag went off on the passenger side so im not 100% what the insurance adjuster is going to say. At this point I am hoping they DONT total it out as I am in school and dont have a steady job to take a loan out to buy a nicer car :(

I know it sounds sadistic but I am glad it happened (would have preferred with nobody else in the vehicle even though everyone walked away with no more than some bruising/soreness) as it put me in my place... for the longest time everyone knew me as the "one who knows how to drive" but even though ive taken that corner numerous times in the past, conditions change and there are always so many unknowns! from here on out i am leaving all of my messing around to the auto-x course and thats IT!

I finally got my car fully blacked out and to the point i wanted it (minus the blower) and it was pretty traumatizing to see it winched up on the flat bed and watch what was left of the rim/tire bend the quarter panel even further back :( - live and learn i suppose!

I havnt really spent much time on forums lately (new girlfriend takes priority :) ) but just thought I would drop a line (a sad one at that!) ill post up some pics hopefully in the next few days!

Take care when driving everyone!!

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
lol, you pulled a 'Doug'... [:D]

Glad you're still alive to tell the tale...even though it is embarassing. [thumb]

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
Awhile back, Doug (WD40) was AutoXing and took a slalom too quick...ran off the road and screwed his suspension up. He's an excellent driver, it was just a funny story... [;)]

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bummer deal for your car, but still a good lesson learned!

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
what was the time of day of the crash? (morning dew on the road?)

I didn't crash, But i did the same thing you did, hit a freeway onramp like I always do, same speed, etc... then I did a 180...

back end carried to much momentum from downshifting instead of braking.
And it was 6:30am, anf 1st rain of the season..

·
Registered
415 Posts
Keep the 70 MPh turns on a track not a steet. Guess you learned an extremly expensive lesson. Glad ur Ok but 10 points off for damaging an already rare vehicle? Now there is like what 8k SVTS left of the original 14k made?

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Thta sucks. Im sorry

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Damn.. sucks to hear....

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
proof? lol im not bsing...i only wish I was :( Every day i go without my car i remember just how much I loved the damn thing!

no luckily it didnt crack the windshield but it sure did a number to my buddies arm/shoulder!

I will try to get pics soon...I actually havnt even gotten to see the damn thing since the night of the accident! went sunday to make sure my windows were rolled up but the yard was closed and could just barely see it through the fence to see they had in fact rolled them up for me. the insurance adjuster is taking it to the body shop where i want it to go where he is going to pull the wheel off and see just how extensive the damage is. The only reason i could see why he would want to check it out first is to see if it would need to be totaled? otherwise it would make more sense to me to just have the body shop go ahead and do an estimate...

anyway i will try to get pics asap! i really want to see the damn thing in the light, and also see what it looks like from the underside to see how extensive the damage really is. At this point im praying it is fixable... if it isnt i will prolly take the 11-12k they will give me, add a couple and try to hunt down an 03 or 04 orange euro zx5... (impossible? probably YES lol) I just cant stand not having my little svt!! ive been driving my dads 01 zx4 se and now i remember why i bought an svt!

·
Registered
415 Posts
R00ST650 said:
At this point im praying it is fixable... if it isnt i will prolly take the 11-12k they will give me, add a couple and try to hunt down an 03 or 04 orange euro zx5... (impossible? probably YES lol) I just cant stand not having my little svt!! ive been driving my dads 01 zx4 se and now i remember why i bought an svt!
I found a ZX5 EAP Screaming yellow Im getting to add to my collection of Silver EAP ZX5's LOL.

Also Sedans wherent designated ZX4 until 05 in 01 Its just an SE Sedan.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright just a little update (w/o pics...sorry guys :( )

The insurance adjuster did his own quote of4900 for the work (this was before anyone even pulled the remaining 3 spokes off the hub lol). The current status now that the body shop pulled everything apart is the estimate was bumped to 7k and that still isnt everything. When I was there i helped the body shop guy look at stuff and figure out what else needs to be covered. I took a look underneath (was up in the air) and noticed the header took a pretty good hit! i have spent enough time messing with cats and headers to know exactly where the header and cat should be relative to the oiil pan- and mine is TOUCHING the oil pan (completely flush)... the insurance adjuster didnt add that into the quote yet because he wasnt sure that was abnormal- but said it wont be a problem to add that in once he can look at another car.

The control arm is completely folded in half, and the frame mount is a little tweaked but hopefully fully repairable. 3 of the 4 wheels are jacked and 2 tires have chunks out of them (replacing 3 i guess). I decided that id be better off just getting new rims, so i am going to put my stockers on with my bald conti's until i get the insurance money they are giving me for rims/tires to get new ones. I still love the hell out of my rims so I am thinking i will probably spend the extra cash and get 18's this time (same style) with fresh tires all around. I am actually a little dissapointed they arnt totalling the whole thing out, simply because I dont like the idea of driving a car that has been in an accident involving this many suspension components. O well it is what it is! I just cant wait to be back in the driver seat of MY car and ill just cross my fingers once all the work is done I dont have too many gremlins down the road.

I will try to get a pic of the wheel (whats left...lol) the tire, the quarter panel and the mangled control arm soon!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Its an accident you caused? You where the one that wrecked it so you know what happened, whats wrong with driving it aftert its fixed? ALl of a suden you wreck the car and after its fixed its not good enough? If you loved ur car youd be happy its getting fixed not sad it wasnt totaled. If you freind was in an accident and had sugurey does that mean youd wanna abandon him?

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
R00ST650 said:
I am actually a little dissapointed they arnt totalling the whole thing out, simply because I dont like the idea of driving a car that has been in an accident involving this many suspension components.
Then I would suggest not driving like the roads are your own personal slalom course.

Try taking that corner at the speed limit next time and report back what happens.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.