Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered the new ST since no one had a beast like what i wanted in stock.

I wanted a base ST, with a moonroof. It had to be in Tangerine Scream, or white. Not many base ST around. and none had a moonroof, and none were in Tangerine Scream. My final cost is $12,000. with them getting my old car. (I still OWE $5K on my old car.. but that is not really part of this deal)
And if it takes two months to deliver my new car I will have $2k more paid off on my old car anyway

I am (supposed) to get all the incentives available today when i finally get the car, and if any better ones come along I can get those if I choose.

Anyway I waffled awhile due to not getting a lot for my 2012. But They went up to $12,200 trade in... and i caved in.

Little old ladies like me usually have to pay retail plus 10% (just for being an ugly old bag). [rant]
All those big discounts some charismatic types claim to get cannot be had by women, (unless they sleep with the salesman, or seem totally willing to do so AND are very beautiful. So for old bags, any discount is a miracle. Like I mentioned. Usually old bags get an added 10% tacked on to the price just because. [sadpanda]

So 6 to 8 weeks i expect my new baby...
Until then I have to avoid any door dings. LOL

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Let me assure you that any lady that drives a Tangerine Scream ST will never be called an old bag or a little old lady.

You go girl.

Out of curiosity, did you order a 2014 because you don't like the styling or didn't want to wait for the 2015 ST? (I know you got incentives with the 2014 as well)

Congrats. <jealous>

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True. The 2015 was not as interesting. The back is plainer (mainly the shortened taillights, and the different way the hatch is designed. The front bottom corners are cut in much more and look 'too much'. (where the current bits fuse into a coordinated look) Then the steering wheel. I really like the current steering wheel and seeing the new one which is a Fusion and bigger,is just not as good IMO.
Plus I bet the 2015 price will go up.
All that and being a creature of impulse is what got me to buy now. (the incentives really helped.)

After three full years of total dedication to the MPG monitor.. Time to get back to DRIVING a car.. Instead of nursing it around.
From my 20 mile test drive in the ST I can get pretty good mpg staying out of the boost. Or go fast... And Hell with MPGs.. (I am having too much fun) LOL

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Congratulations. Out of curiosity, did you shop around Ford dealers for who would give you the most for your trade-in?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow, nice job. Just how much more do you have to pay monthly for the new car? Plus... I'm sure the insurance is going up when you get your hands on ST.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations. Out of curiosity, did you shop around Ford dealers for who would give you the most for your trade-in?
Ahhh Not much. I have over a dozen Ford dealers in the area. Most of them I would not even bother with.
The main two i will use. One is sooo wierd in the New car area...I have tried to buy a car there. Noooo. Second time.. noooo. This time I walked in, asked any St? Any on order no.I walk out. they make zero attempt to even ask if i want to order one. (probably because they could no longer order any more this year) But THOSE guys have the best service dept of the metro area.)
Some dealers I have never personally used. They are skipped due to other folks horror stories. Some I have my own horror stories.

The other dealer I bought my 1999SVT Contour from them. They are a big dealer. I tried to buy my 2012 there, but no SE I wanted was available. I find the salesmen there to have a nice attitude. (not all of them, but enough to be able to work with a guy I can like) And worth going there. Few to no other dealers can I say that. So they get my vote. (and no I will not name them. I do not advertise for dealers)

One plus for a big dealer is the magic of 'allocation'. Like some dealers cannot (now) order a new ST. Others can. Allocation is everything. How and what and all that car ordering stuff is a car dealer mystery. All I can say is bigger dealers who sell more do get more. And can get more special cars too.
Say a small dealer decided to order two hundred ST? Or fifty Cobra Mustangs... Not gonna happen... They might get only one or two ST, and NO Cobra Mustang at all.
allocation.

Wow, nice job. Just how much more do you have to pay monthly for the new car? Plus... I'm sure the insurance is going up when you get your hands on ST.
I never concern myself with the 'monthly payment' when I am shopping for the car. All i worry about is the total $$$. The monthly payment can work itself out with adjusting the length of the loan AFTER i have a final total. My current SE I borrowed 100% including all fees and taxes. ($24,000) That loan was 4 years $550/mo. I had my car three years.
I still owe $5K. The new car will have $12K plus whatever I still owe on my old car when I swap vehicles.

I will take a 3 year loan for ~ $16,,000 or so. (rolling the current $4K I owe at trade in from Ford Credit into the new loan also from Ford Credit) that is about $485/mo And I will pay it off in 30 months. (that is an average of paying $576/mo)
Then i can buy a 2017.... If i want to...

And from other insurance discussions, the insurance rate for the ST is no higher than any Focus. The ST has not caused a rupture in the Insurance co lives. So all that matters is the actual list price. And that it is a new car now. So the rate will be set for now. So it will go up a small amount only due to it being a 2014, not a 2012.
Maybe if I was 20 years old? it would be different.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Congrats

GPM is more important than MPG when you aren't putting many miles on the car.

(Grins Per Mile)

Enjoy!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Agreed with what sailor said. Congrats, Elizabeth! I envy you. My monthly payment and insurance would just go up by too much considering what I owe on the car and my salary. (I've only owned the car for a year now.) I plan to wait few years until I pay down the loan then trade it in for a ST or something better. I absolutely hate how my car doesn't come with a moonroof but it comes with EVERYTHING ELSE. Sigh. Stupid me.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Congrats! You'll get a lot of looks in the TS-trust me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats! Color me green!

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Congrats

GPM is more important than MPG when you aren't putting many miles on the car.

(Grins Per Mile)

Enjoy!
At first I've read GPM for Gallons Per Minute... that would be a problem! :p

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nice! I got to sit in a '15 ST yesterday and while it's a little more comfortable to the touch, the spirit seems just a little neutered. If I could afford to trade my '12 for a '14 (and if my wife would go for it), I would.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Nice! I got to sit in a '15 ST yesterday and while it's a little more comfortable to the touch, the spirit seems just a little neutered.
Excellent.

The ST should have a feel of refinement otherwise it would just be an inferior Mazdaspeed 3.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Excellent.

The ST should have a feel of refinement otherwise it would just be an inferior Mazdaspeed 3.
Out of curiosity, have the clutch problems you mentioned previously regarding the six speed manual been resolved in the ST?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Out of curiosity, have the clutch problems you mentioned previously regarding the six speed manual been resolved in the ST?
My understanding was that most of the issues involved the slave cylinder and that the modification was to add a "damper" to the system (to slow down the clutch movements and thus limit the peak hydraulic pressure).

I imagine that some folks were driving their ST in the manner of a 5.0 Mustang.
IMO, a ST is not a car that you slam gears in.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
IMO, a ST is not a car that you slam gears in.
AFAIK, no cars are designed to be run like that ! [:D]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts