Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm planning to replace the stock 8" sub in my ride with a 10" sony xplod sub using the stock box, my question is if any of you guys know if the stock amp would be able to handle the 10", also already installed jbl's 6"/8" to replace the stock speakers and they sound really nice.

·
Registered
240 Posts
it will make it move but you will not get a good quality sound and its prob goin to sound disorted thats my .02 cents.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
You will need a new amp. I have the same Sony 10" and got the amp and built a custom box. It sounds really good for such a smal speaker. And the whole setup with wires only cost me like $150.00.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
then a new amp it is

·
Registered
15 Posts
New amp but ditch the sub, lol they're called Xplode's for a reason, go with a 10" Kenwood KFC instead, I've seen Xlpode's come in before and they're all fried from the wires.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Don't listen to people about Sony speakers. Iv had nothing but Sony and never had a problem. It's all about how you take care of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't listen to people about Sony speakers. Iv had nothing but Sony and never had a problem.
Okay so we won't listen to your post lol :D
While taking care of it does come into aspect, stick with the brands that are well known for being in cars, Pioneer comes to mind, what vechicles can you buy with Xplodes in them?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Meh, I'd avoid Sony. Crappy, overrated products. I wouldn't really recommend using any of the stock equipment with aftermarket equipment. It usually ends up sounding... meh.

·
Registered
433 Posts
X2^^^^

Kenwood is a good brand, Pioneer makes some good stuff, as does alpine, and many others. Sony is a walmart brand (especially the Xplodes). If you go to a middle to high end car audio dealer they won't have sony for reasons as stated above.

·
Registered
596 Posts
personally I'm a jbl guy... I have an alpine amp and a 10" infinity sub (part of the harman family like jbl) that's very effecient...I wonder if it would be compatible with the stock sub box in the premium system of my 07 ST... or would I need to make drastic mods to the box or replace it all together...I'll need to look at the plastic box the sub is in.. I may just take it out and put the sub I now have in it's place...don't know if it is a dual voice coil in the stock sub tho...my infinity is a single voice coil...maybe doing a search will enlighten me... either way I like the stock setup for now...I may place the alpine in the buy sell trade section and the sub and enclosure as well...don't know yet...I'll let it go cheap if I don't use it...like 200 bucks for the whole thing..infinity sub and alpine mrp-f450 and sub box...

just thinking out loud..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts