Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what size the woofers are in the doors?
When I go to Crutchfield they are showing 5 1/4 and 6 1/2 and 6 3/4.

I have a Polk DB6501 6 1/2 component setup that i'm wondering if it will fit.

How is the Sony system?
Does the sub do a good job or is it lacking and need to be upgraded?
Whats the wattage on the amp?
Does the system have good volume or does it distort quickly?

I wasn't able to find a Focus at any dealership that had the Sony system installed.

Thanks in advance. I'm stuck like most of you, burning time and waiting for my ride to get here.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Anyone know what size the woofers are in the doors?
When I go to Crutchfield they are showing 5 1/4 and 6 1/2 and 6 3/4.

I have a Polk DB6501 6 1/2 component setup that i'm wondering if it will fit.

How is the Sony system?
Does the sub do a good job or is it lacking and need to be upgraded?
Whats the wattage on the amp?
Does the system have good volume or does it distort quickly?

I wasn't able to find a Focus at any dealership that had the Sony system installed.

Thanks in advance. I'm stuck like most of you, burning time and waiting for my ride to get here.
The Sony system, much like most factory systems is average, not great but it's not horrible either. My only realistic complaint is that the Mids could be much better but the bass is solid, volume is solid. Not sure about wattage on amp.

·
Registered
234 Posts
All I know is it sounded surprisingly better than the Bose system in my Audi when I took an SEL with the upgraded stereo for a test spin a month or so ago.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the Sony sound system and I think it sounds fantastic.

I had a sound system in my old car, 2x 12" subs 1000w amp for those, 650w for speakers. I wasn't sure about putting it into this car.

After hearing the built in Sony system, I figured I'd sell my woofers and amps. Haven't found a buyer yet though. $350 for 2x 12" Sony Xplode, 1000w amp, 650w amp, plus deck. Probably cheap, but I just want to be rid of them and put the money towards car payment.

Unless I can easily place the subwoofers in. I'm not sure where the cabling would even go or how to get to the head unit in this new car.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the Sony sound system and I think it sounds fantastic.

I had a sound system in my old car, 2x 12" subs 1000w amp for those, 650w for speakers. I wasn't sure about putting it into this car.

After hearing the built in Sony system, I figured I'd sell my woofers and amps. Haven't found a buyer yet though. $350 for 2x 12" Sony Xplode, 1000w amp, 650w amp, plus deck. Probably cheap, but I just want to be rid of them and put the money towards car payment.

Unless I can easily place the subwoofers in. I'm not sure where the cabling would even go or how to get to the head unit in this new car.
If it is like most upgraded factory setups it is extremely proprietary and will be difficult to add on other amps/speakers to.

I know that in the case of my Bose, they would have had to gut 1/2 the stuff in the car in order to replace it, including the proprietary amps, etc. It just wasn't worth the headache, not to mention that in my experience aftermarket installs almost always result in additional rattles, creaks and loose screws rolling around inside the door panels. [scream]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So your telling me there's a chance!!!

That i won't need to upgrade the speakers. I know the head unit is a no go at this point.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Notice a difference with the tweeters? Did you put the cross overs in?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Notice a difference with the tweeters? Did you put the cross overs in?
I debated on it but in the end, put the crossovers in and just left the factory tweeter wires disconnected. Big difference, a lot more upper frequency range. The factory paper speakers suck all around.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone know the size the woofers in the doors?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Anyone know the size the woofers in the doors?
Why does everyone keep asking that? There aren't woofers in the doors.

There are 2 tweeters (one in each door A-pillar), 6 2- or 3-way speakers (what you're probably referring to as "woofers"), 1 center-channel speaker (that, as far as I can tell, is only used when using the bluetooth for a phone call), and the sub in the trunk/hatch.

The speakers in the doors aren't woofers. They're 2-way or 3-way speakers. Very different things.

And someone already listed the sizes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

There are 2 tweeters (one in each door A-pillar), 6 2- or 3-way speakers (what you're probably referring to as "woofers"), 1 center-channel speaker (that, as far as I can tell, is only used when using the bluetooth for a phone call), and the sub in the trunk/hatch.

The speakers in the doors aren't woofers. They're 2-way or 3-way speakers. Very different things.

No need for the attitude.

An as far as i've seen no one has listed the sizes in this thread besides me asking the initial question trying to figure out exactly what this Sony system is and how its setup.

So what size are the 2 or 3 way speakers in the doors then.
I was under the assumption that it was a component setup with tweeters and woofers in the doors and a 8" sub in the trunk.

·
Banned
363 Posts

So what your really saying is that you don't know either.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
No.
The speakers in the doors could be called full range speakers or they could be called woofers (semantics). They are not 2-way or 3-way speakers.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Whatever. They fit in a 6.5" hole. That's the important part. They're all really crappy cardboard. If you're comparing on a size-by-size basis, you don't know anything about speakers anyhow.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Whatever. They fit in a 6.5" hole. That's the important part. They're all really crappy cardboard. If you're comparing on a size-by-size basis, you don't know anything about speakers anyhow.
The Sony speakers are not cardboard, they are fairly decent quality with rubber surrounds. Maybe the base systems are cardboard.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You guys are going to make me pull my door panels and figure this stuff out on my own when the car gets here in another 7 weeks. + or - infinity...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts