Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2012 Titanium last week. Yes is has the MFT but that's not my issue. Does anyone that has the system seem to get a tin can/hollow sound to their audio when playing music? I have adjusted everything I possibly can and it doesn't seem to help much. There are some vibrations coming from the back speakers when listening so something with bass. Even at low volumes. And the sound from the back speakers are faint. When I listen to an ipod or CD, I have to turn the volume way up. I had a 2000 GrandAm prior with a 6 speaker stock audio and was expecting the system on my Focus to blow it out of the water. But as it stands now, its the other way around. And on the GrandAm it didn't even have an amp or subwoofer.

A good audio system is a major part of the driving experience to me and as of now its been a letdown. So if others have run into this please let me know, and what you did to fix it. If not then I will have to take it to the dealership. Thanks!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just got my 2012 Titanium last week. Yes is has the MFT but that's not my issue. Does anyone that has the system seem to get a tin can/hollow sound to their audio when playing music? I have adjusted everything I possibly can and it doesn't seem to help much. There are some vibrations coming from the back speakers when listening so something with bass. Even at low volumes. And the sound from the back speakers are faint. When I listen to an ipod or CD, I have to turn the volume way up. I had a 2000 GrandAm prior with a 6 speaker stock audio and was expecting the system on my Focus to blow it out of the water. But as it stands now, its the other way around. And on the GrandAm it didn't even have an amp or subwoofer.

A good audio system is a major part of the driving experience to me and as of now its been a letdown. So if others have run into this please let me know, and what you did to fix it. If not then I will have to take it to the dealership. Thanks!
I don't have a 2012, but I know that Ford trys to help stage the sound by making the back speakers accompany the front.

By that, I mean that the output signal to the rears are getting less than the front. They also set up an EQ in the factory HU that will be different between the front and rear. If you were to hook up the speaker wires coming out of the HU to an oscilliscope, you could see that the front and rear will be different. They will have different responses to frequency.

That would be why the back seems "faint" or not as loud or may not even have the same type of sound to them due to the EQ.

I wouldn't even waste your time taking it to the dealership. They will only make you wait around while they have someone look at it, only to tell you that's the way it is. They may be able to fix the sound that happens in the rear when the bass hits if it's a seperate issue, but most likely it isn't.

Good luck though. If you find out the issues let us know so other people that have the same problems can know!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I had a buzzing noise coming from the rear driver's side tweeter on songs with heavy bass. I removed the door panel to have a look and tighten screws. I discovered the round upper speaker is just pressure fitted in the opening. A slight turn and push solved the buzzing sound. I find the sound very good for my listening tastes. I have my settings at Bass +2, Mid +4, treble +2, right +2 and back +3. I adjust the fade and balance when the rear seats are down, but this set up sounds good to me. I listen to a all types of music, a Johnny Cash was finishing and a Pretenders song was starting when I just checked my settings.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
What are your sound settings?

My system sounds beautiful, I absolutely love it. The only "source" I have to turn the volume up sometimes is the radio/HD radio/Sirius.. but that's no issue, I don't have to crannnk it up, just a few volume hashes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To the people that replied to my post, thanks for the info. I took it to a Ford dealership today and we tried the sound in another focus with the same sound system and it sounded a little better but not much. Then we tried a Fusion and thats when they realized that there is an issue with the balance and fade on the Focus Sony system. In the Fusion when they put the balance more towards the back speakers, they got louder. Where in the Focus when they put the balance towards the back the front speakers got quieter yet the rear speakers did not increase. They sent out a service bulletin to Ford about the issue. I hope there is a solution because rite now I prefer to drive with the radio off because it sounds like not much sound is coming from the back, so it has a tunnel effect to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts