Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like his head gasket is shot. Car has 220k on it. Any thoughts on where to go/what to do. Looking around I see that the head gasket replacement is not something I am capable of doing. Spark plugs, thermostats, shocks, brakes, is about my max. He doesn't want to junk the car, local pick-n-pull will give me 250.00 for the car.

Thanks for any information/wisdom you have.
Thom

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I found that it was something that I couldn't do myself, personally, I would call your local shop and see what they quote you. The car does have a lot of miles so maybe it's time that you sell it and buy another with lower miles. If it does end up not being too expensive at the shop I think that you should have it repaired, though if it was just me i would at least try it myself, it's only nuts and bolts and it's already very, very broken. Good Luck!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Replacing the head gasket is hard at all like Texas Ranger said. The 2 hardest things on this IMO is the exhaust & intake manifolds for removal, bolts are somewhat hidden. I believe you can leave the fuel rail attached but make sure you have the timing set and lock the cams in place so they don't move or it might be a lot fun getting it back time.

you got it down that far you might as well do the timing belt & gears & a water pump, might want to check the serpentine tensioner, could need replaces as well.

Good luck, I've been down this road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What sucks is he just did timing belt and fuel pump. I will call a couple mom and pop shops, if not I think he will have to give her up..

Thanks
Thom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts