Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95757 Posts

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
What's the downside to taking the air box cover off? Isn't there a risk of contaminates?
More frequent filter changes maybe. I know some here that have run it for quite some time.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
It's not quite boxer burble but it sure isn't weed whacker by any means.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Awesome. Just took mine off. Too late to test tonight but I'll give it a blast on the way to work tomorrow ??

Cheers
Enjoy... Just make sure there aren't any small animals, children or those with heart conditions in the car the first time you go full throttle ;)

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I always wanted an Invidia G200 on my WRX. The FSWERKS Race cat-back is on my wish list for the Mk3!

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
For those interested in a shift knob like the one I posted yesterday (they have a ton of colors and themes), it's from SpeedDawg.com. I spoke to them today and they are universal and use a brass insert to match our thread pitch. Cool thing is if you get one and then later buy a STS with a different pitch it's $5 for a different insert! Just throwing ideas out there...

·
Registered
882 Posts
A few things:

One: I'm hoping the shift knob you linked was just a representation of a different one that you bought...since that's for a 6-speed, and the Focus manual is 5-speed.

Two: The downside to removing the airbox lid and running it open is that you run a huge risk of getting contaminates into your engine. It's not just a matter of the filter getting dirty quicker...it's a matter of the suction being strong enough that it pulls particulates *around* the filter and into the intake manifold. Running it open like that could run you a few thousand dollar bill within a year or 2. This is dependent on where you live and what kind of weather you run into, but I've seen it happen.

Three: The stripes and headlights kind of look ridiculous. It looks like a 16 year old got a car for his birthday and spent $20 at AutoZone. This is almost not subjective...it makes the car look corny. You basically removed any amount of class the car had. This is made worse by the stickers all over your back window.

You do realize you don't drive a sponsored rally car, right?

·
Registered
133 Posts
A few things:

One: I'm hoping the shift knob you linked was just a representation of a different one that you bought...since that's for a 6-speed, and the Focus manual is 5-speed.

Two: The downside to removing the airbox lid and running it open is that you run a huge risk of getting contaminates into your engine. It's not just a matter of the filter getting dirty quicker...it's a matter of the suction being strong enough that it pulls particulates *around* the filter and into the intake manifold. Running it open like that could run you a few thousand dollar bill within a year or 2. This is dependent on where you live and what kind of weather you run into, but I've seen it happen.

Three: The stripes and headlights kind of look ridiculous. It looks like a 16 year old got a car for his birthday and spent $20 at AutoZone. This is almost not subjective...it makes the car look corny. You basically removed any amount of class the car had. This is made worse by the stickers all over your back window.

1. It says the knob is available in any shift pattern.

2. I haven't heard of any problems with removing the lid. I think as long as he keeps the filter clean it will be fine.

3. It's his car, let him do what he wants. It's bold, but not awful. I wouldn't do it myself but I respect that he isn't afraid to do things to his car that make him happy instead of worrying about what everyone else thinks.

·
Registered
882 Posts
1. It says the knob is available in any shift pattern.

2. I haven't heard of any problems with removing the lid. I think as long as he keeps the filter clean it will be fine.

3. It's his car, let him do what he wants. It's bold, but not awful. I wouldn't do it myself but I respect that he isn't afraid to do things to his car that make him happy instead of worrying about what everyone else thinks.
I didn't say he couldn't do it...he's posting here for opinions, and I gave mine. It's his car, but are you saying if he drilled a hole through the hood the size of a baseball for no reason you wouldn't say it was dumb? In my opinion putting those bright and horrible colors on a car is akin to buying a car with hubcaps and taking them off to show the steel wheels underneath...the people that do it *must* think it makes the car look better, but in reality it makes it look like a kid's first car instead of something nice and new.

And the reason you haven't heard about problems with removing the lid is that most people haven't been driving like that for more than a few months. In addition, as I said before it heavily depends on where you do a majority of your driving. In locations with sand or thick particulates in the air, this will destroy your engine or intake manifold fairly quickly.

And in response to the shift knob, that's why I asked. I didn't follow the link, but the picture he posted was a 6-speed variant. I asked if that was the one he ordered.

·
Something goes here
8,280 Posts

Calm down there hotshot, don't attack other members, its against forum rules. Do it again and I will issue an infraction.

People modify cara for there own reasons and taste, not always do people have the same taste.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I like the stripes on your car! Seeing them makes me want to put some orange ones on mine! Nice looking ride Sonic...maybe I'll see you around town!

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
hotleadsingerguy,

In all actuality this thread was never intended for opinions, just a way for me to keep all of my modifications and car ramblings in one place and together. While you may not agree with my mods, I have had a number of members that have given praise for being bold, different and trying new things. I've already admitted to being "that guy" where so many around here won't be.

This isn't my first Focus, or my first car for that matter and even though I hadn't posted much in the last few years, I'm back full bore. I've never thought of myself as an expert on this car or any car for that matter, but I know better than most and have done mods to all my vehicles.

It's individuals like you that take full advantage of the Internet, good or bad. If I could unsubscribe you from my posts I would, but it doesn't work that way. You came here and read... You can also not come back and bother myself or those that want to read about me and my craziness.

And BTW, you wouldn't have had to follow the link on the knob, you just had to read the words on the picture. I am intimately aquainted with my 5-speed thanks, use it everyday, but thanks for point that out. And... Most of my stickers are on my driver's side rear window, just an FYI.

Thanks and have a wonderful night. I'm not losing any sleep over your opinions. But I have to run... My newest mod is in the works... I've gotta hole to drill in my hood! ;)

Casey

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I like the stripes on your car! Seeing them makes me want to put some orange ones on mine! Nice looking ride Sonic...maybe I'll see you around town!
Go for it man... If you're on the Westside much, that's my end of town most of the time, but I work in the NE Heights.

I've been trying to get Foci together here in ABQ on a semi regular basis for Coffee & Foci. We'll be doing it again probably the second weekend in May, come join us! Just keep a look out for an invite or check the Regional Forums.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
..I have FAR more decals on my back window. Jus' saying. [hihi]

41 - 60 of 95757 Posts