Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I raced one of my friends, on a 2 lane road, with a 2002 lancer oz automatic with an exhaust (not a catback). I started off behind him, we were going about 10 mph and I waited for him to take off then I went. I didn't start getting around him until late 3rd gear and I passed him all the way in 4th. Why did it take so long for me to get around him? I just barely creeped past him. He has 120 hp stock and I have 130 stock, but I have short headers, hi flo-cat, 2.25 fp, 2.25 magnaflow, volant cai, 65mm tb, fc udp, 8.5 mm ford racing wires, dbl pltm spark plugs and mine is an MTX. I should have been able to blow him away instead of just barely passing him. I noticed that my engine has been making a very loud ticking noise, but I just thought it was the cold weather. It was about 10 degrees last night when we raced. Can any of you help me out?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ticking = usually bad and racing in 10 degree weather = usually bad too
You could have a bent rod or valve causing the ticking if you usually drive pretty hard, but Ive kinda only seen that happen on tracks that have similar turns and the oil gets shoved into one side of the motor because of the G-force and the other side of the motor gets starved from oil and gets too hot and then you get some permanate damage and nice ticking, but who knows it could be anything

·
Registered
246 Posts
what kind of fuel have you been putting in the car? yea, and racing in 10 degree weather could also be the cause of your problem because oil is alot thicker when its colder.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A focus can't hit g-force can it? I have been using 87 octane fuel and I use 5w20 oil. Should I use a higher octane gas?

·
Registered
246 Posts
i dont think you should have to use anything higher than 87. I think they recommend that you use only 87 so i guess thats really not the problem. How many miles do you have on the car? Maybe you are just in need of a valve adjustment.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
ticking is probably normal. our cars tick, its just what they do. sometimes people dont notice it until they think they did something wrong and they point a finger at it. my diagnosis, your cars fine, u may have gotten a bad launch, but giving him a head start is definately going to make i seem like its taking you a minute to catch up. if u let a car get 4 car lengths in front of u, then your next to him already by the time your doing 50 (about 8 seconds) and pass him when your still under your 1/4 mile trap speed (about 88-90) and get a couple car lengths ahead of him still before the race is over... i think your fine! race him from a deadstop and you will feel better again...

i raced a brand new si civic on friday nite and wasted it. it wasnt even funny, i tried to slow down for the guy so i could see what was up and why is car was so slow but he turned off into a parking lot all fast.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have about 64,500 on it. I think I'm going to ask him if he wants to race again and we will get side by side at a dead stop. That will be better.

About 3 weeks ago I raced a civic si on the four lanes at a stop light and I beat him pretty bad. I had just got a full tank of gas and pulled out on the 4 lane and we raced. I had my gf with me too and he was by himself. That kinda makes me feel better thinking about that race, but I know he will go and brag to everybody that I barely passed his stock lancer.[?|]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts