Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving in the rain in downtown Milwaukee and my left front wheel hit a bump. It was definitely the deepest I've ever hit in this car. A couple of minutes later, the 'Low Air Pressure' thing showed up on my display. I stopped and checked my tyres. They looked properly inflated and the rims didn't seem damaged.

I went back home and filled the tyres up just in case. I think they are almost 39psi each now so it's definitely not low air pressure.

Anybody else have this problem? What do I do?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
How long have you driven with the light on? It may need time to reset to the new tire pressure.

I'm not sure if they changed the actual TPMS sensor from 2011 to 2012, but I know the 2008-2009 and 2010-2011 sensors are only rated up to 50 psi. Perhaps there was a spike in the tire pressure far over 50 which damaged the sensor?

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
The sensor is attached to the valve stem. They are plastic and do break. Very likely in your situation.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long have you driven with the light on? It may need time to reset to the new tire pressure.

I'm not sure if they changed the actual TPMS sensor from 2011 to 2012, but I know the 2008-2009 and 2010-2011 sensors are only rated up to 50 psi. Perhaps there was a spike in the tire pressure far over 50 which damaged the sensor?
I must've driven less than 10mi so I'd probably wait for the end of this week to see if it fixes itself.

@beta... That probably means only one thing... Dealer visit.

Anybody know how long it might take a dealer to fix/fit a TPMS? Do they do it only on appointment? I'm just asking because I want to plan my visit accordingly and this'll be my first visit to the dealer since I bought the car.

·
Registered
781 Posts
they will have to take the tire off the rim. if it's damaged they'll just swap it out for a new one. should be less than a hour, assuming they have a replacement in stock (fortunately it's a standard part).

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored By Tire Rack"

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I'd give it some time. The sensors can often need several on/off cycles and sometimes a fair amount of time and mileage to recognize changes in pressure. As long as the tire is holding pressure (and the wheel is not damaged) there's no downside in driving with the idiot light on. If after several days of driving (not just trips around the block) it doesn't go out you can then take it in for service. The dealer or any competent tire shop should be able to service it fairly quickly.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
2012 with a failed sensor is totally warranty work. Doesn't matter you hit a 'little' bump. If the bump did not break the rim, or rip the wheel off, it is a warranty level issue.
Also, the TPMS will alert if extreme overpressure too. So the bump may have bounced the tire pressure up over the upper overthe limit causing the system to flash you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts