Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to the point where I was getting about 19 miles to the gallon. I cleaned my air filter, used some fuel cleaner injector, and drove off a few tanks.

My second tank after the cleaning was 23 MPG, and something really weird happened on this one...

I had 258 miles on the tank, and the needle was below E. So, I filled up my tank.

To my surprise, it stopped at 9.1 gallons. I thought the machine messed up or something, so I squeezed the handle a few more times, but it was definitely full; it clicked immediately. I ended up with about 9.12 gallons, rather than the usually 11.5-12 gallons I usually have on an empty tank.

My gas mileage came out to be 28.5 MPG! I was like WUUUT!?

But it sucked, because my gas light had been on for 30 miles. I was well below E, but at that MPG I could have driven another 60 miles or so. The only explanation for this can be that my needle suddenly became inaccurate when my gas mileage picked up, maybe something with the ECU?

If I disconnected my battery overnight, would it reset the gauges perhaps?

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I dunno, I wouldn't trust the 9.xx gallon fill-up. I know our gas guages are awfully inaccurate, but not quite that bad...

Have you ever filled up at a pump and it shut the gas off before your tank was full? It sounds more like that happened, that would be my guess anyway. Although if you got back in and the needle went back up to/past the F mark, maybe that's not the case.

At any rate, unpluggin the battery for a bit probably couldn't hurt, I'd try that, see how it goes next fill-up.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If you unplug the battery, You will get WORSE gas mileage, Just FYI, The ECU will have to re-learn your driving habbits and tollerances.
Guages don't just Mis-read all of the sudden, Maybe you just noticed that your taking gas mileage ??? Do you have A/M Guages ? Maybe you put the needles off just a bit......

Troy.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's weird because even though I only put 9.12 gallons in the car, I know the tank is full. I'm getting normal mileage right now, as if I totally filled the tank. I'm at 1/4th of a tank left, and the mileage is where it usually is around this time. I wonder if it was just a problem with the gas pump?

Also, I repeatedly squeezed the pump handle after it reached 9 gallons and stopped. It wouldn't fill any further.

It's so weird. I guess I'll have to see how I do on this tank, and how much gas actually goes into the tank this time around.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am not a huge fan of gas pumps, at least the way the are set up anymore. I noticed in my 06 F150 and my ST on a few occasions that the pump showed a few gallons less on a fill up than I normally put in. At first I thought maybe I just had a little more fuel in my tank than last time, but after thinking about it I was flat on fumes!

However the freakest thing I have seen was I took a 5 gallon gas tank to the pump that was bone dry, and told them to fill it. When it was done the pump read almost 5.5 gals. WTF!? I looked at the guy who filled it and asked him how the [:)][:)][:)][:)] that happen....I didn't leave the cans sight so I know the dude didn't just ditch some extra gas into the trash can or some shit.

His idea was that the can wasn't a true 5 gals and was just larger than that........either way I sold my right arm so I could pay for the gas for that day and walked away confused.

Damn oil companies!

·
Registered
240 Posts
You know, I've noticed small occurences where it seems like I'm actually paying more for the gas I'm pumping. I won't go into it because it would take to long for me to explain into words what exactly it is that I am talking about, but when you think about, these gas stations own us. The systems are all electronic, and there are ways where they could get the data to read out more gallons than what's pumped. I don't know though, there really isn't any hardcore proof of it, but it is something to think about.

If I had a way to measure gallons I'd go pump 5 gallons of gas into a gas tank, and then measure it at home, but I don't know if there's a way to do that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I get gas at the same place most of the time (unless I'm out of town), and unless they're giving me free gas, I've never had a problem with the pump. My last tank got me over 31 mpg. [cool]

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Most of the time people pay more than they think they should because they don't factor in the 9/10. If you go to a gas station and the price is listed as $2.99 9/10. That 9/10 is an extra penny so it's really $3.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I filled up again and I got the normal amount of gas in the fillup, and my mileage was back down to around 20-21.

Must have been something wrong with the pump. I know my tank was full that day. Apparently it was, because my mileage on the trip odometer was on par with a full tank, even though I only put "9.12" gallons in it.

Thanks for getting my hopes up, Shell!

·
Registered
500 Posts
There was a news story awhile ago.... the gas would pump slower then it normaly would but the price would increase just as fast as before.. or something like that and that was apparently a scam they pulled. Might of been real might of been just a station problem...

Did you gauge go back to over "F"? Dont pumps use a device to measure the amount of fumes in the tank to determine how full it is? If it didnt go over full I could see a problem with the pump or the shut off.

Anyways good luck with your problem I have no problems with my 05 and getting 33 mpg. I have noticed (not by choice) that when my light comes on I can still go pretty dang far with the gas left in the tank.

Whats the difference I noticed some pumps have just one latch for you to lock the handle at and other have up to 3? Dont mean to hyjack but just wondering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts