Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so in my svt, occasionally, I'll come to a complete stop, let off the brake and roll back a tad bit, and hear this deep squeelish type of noise. Not so much like a grinding, but like a big heavy metal door being opened slowly. Is this common to anyone else? Anyone know what it could be? I've heard of the svt rotors being warped...does it sound like the same thing?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Is it only when you go backwards?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i think its happened once or twice rolling forward...its just not common that I roll forward slow so I dont catch it. Half the time my system is blasting anyway, lol.

·
Supercharged
3,275 Posts
3 things come to mind.

A caliper dragging, slightly warped rotor, or thick aftermarket brake pads. I have noticed that some aftermarket pads for the SVT are really thick. New factory OEM pads start out about 3/8" thinner. The extra brake padding will wear off but could be causing caliper dragging.

How many miles do you have on your car and have you recently changed your pads?

·
Banned
143 Posts
no its nothing. its the transition between static and kinetic friction (bloody smartass uni kids). u know how sometimes if you rub your finger against a table it kinda vibrates and makes a noise. its the same thing with the brakes but just on a bigger scale. basically whats happening is the rotor is stopping and moving again very quickly so it only happens when its going very slowly.

·
Registered
808 Posts
damn that science stuff, I wish it would just stop doing sciency stuff. haha

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
That's actually pretty common. (tuning fork noise)
My car did it occasionally with the stock rotors and pads.
I haven't heard it since I put new stuff on over a year ago.

BTW,
Moved to Technical Chat

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, i payed attention to it closer today, and its when Im stopped, out of gear, rolling slightly backwards with the brakes about halfway let off....i

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*i'm assuming its apart of the brakes...i do not think its the pads, because im fairly close to needing new ones, so the thickness doesnt make too much sense to be the cause. But i kind of do think it may be the rotor. One of them at least. Any sort of way to test these? And by the way thank you all so much for help so far...

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you are needing new pads it could be the squeeler they put on there to let you know when you need new pads. It could be in the early stages of telling you. If that is what it is, the noise only gets worse from here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts