Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently cut off my resonator, but now I have a piece to put on in place of it, but I have no access to any welding supplies. The new piece fits snug inside of stock exhaust and it holds for a bit. But if I really rev it up high, it pushes alot of pressure. It stays on fine when just driving through town, but I need some type of thing to keep it on there securely. Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
You may have access to welding supplies and not even know it! If you got a wire hanger, car battery, and jumper cables then you could possibly weld it. Or at least do a tach to keep it in place till you get it done proffesionally.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
I don't like exhaust clamps, i just did the same thing your doing yesterday. I had a huge resonator on my svt, i went down my driveway and it ripped right off and it was clamped on. I got new pipe at the exhaust shop but to just weld the resonator back on the shop just wanted 15 bucks so i say weld that thing man.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You may have access to welding supplies and not even know it! If you got a wire hanger, car battery, and jumper cables then you could possibly weld it. Or at least do a tach to keep it in place till you get it done proffesionally.
LOL. have you tried it?

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Yes I have. Have you ever done stick welding? Its the same. Conect the negative terminel to the exhaust system with the jumper cables, and connect the possitive to the straightened coat hanger. Smack the hanger on the part you want to weld and it will start to melt. Dont go too fast, and dont hold it there too long.

Granted, it will be THE UGLIEST weld you have ever seen, but it will hold. I have seen some emergency repairs done with this kind of welding done up in the woods. When you break your truck up in the woods, and you need to get your truck and it's load of logs down to the bottom, you get pretty creative lol.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes I have. Have you ever done stick welding? Its the same. Conect the negative terminel to the exhaust system with the jumper cables, and connect the possitive to the straightened coat hanger. Smack the hanger on the part you want to weld and it will start to melt. Dont go too fast, and dont hold it there too long.

Granted, it will be THE UGLIEST weld you have ever seen, but it will hold. I have seen some emergency repairs done with this kind of welding done up in the woods. When you break your truck up in the woods, and you need to get your truck and it's load of logs down to the bottom, you get pretty creative lol.
talk about innovative.

i have stick welded but i cant remember if the Volts need to be higher than 12V that the batt supplies...but i assume that is why you said itll be the ugliest thing.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Nope. You can do 12 V. As long as the current is high enough, it will work.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I recently cut off my resonator, but now I have a piece to put on in place of it, but I have no access to any welding supplies. The new piece fits snug inside of stock exhaust and it holds for a bit. But if I really rev it up high, it pushes alot of pressure. It stays on fine when just driving through town, but I need some type of thing to keep it on there securely. Any ideas?

Thanks!
if you dont like exhaust clamps (i dont either) go to the exhaust shop and they can weld it up for cheap. unless you dont have access to a shop either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts