Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I did my own regular maintenance today (checking liquid, window washer, tires, etc) and while checking for leaking, I found something strange. I suspect an oil leaking (see photos 1-5 below), however I really do not know which part it is. I would think it's the trans but it's a little too small to be I think. Could someone help me ?

I also found something I never saw before. Can someome tell me what is it (in red circle, photos 6-8)

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I can't tell what you're circling in photos 6-8, but that's the steering gear in the first couple of images. That's actually normal, just dirt built up on something used in assembly:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320509&page=3

I had it on my car too and thought it might be a leak, but I cleaned it off and it hasn't returned in over a year.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't tell what you're circling in photos 6-8, but that's the steering gear in the first couple of images. That's actually normal, just dirt built up on something used in assembly:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320509&page=3

I had it on my car too and thought it might be a leak, but I cleaned it off and it hasn't returned in over a year.
Thank you. I will clean it then if there's no harm like you said in your other post.

The circled part is actually a brown hole on the right side of the engine. Do you have the same thing ?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Not sure if same hole but I have one.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
isn't that the engine freeze plug? If leaking from here prestone you've got a major issue.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Not sure if same hole but I have one.

Btw your valve cover gasket is leaking a little bit. You can get I replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's my thoughts too.
I do not suspect prestone (the level are the same since 6 months), unless it's a very small (super tiny) leak... The leak I am talking in OP post is about the stering gear actually as said by PratoN. So this is ok.

Is it normal it's brown ? There's no color (gray metal) in the above photo of ELCouz.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I do not suspect prestone (the level are the same since 6 months), unless it's a very small (super tiny) leak... The leak I am talking in OP post is about the stering gear actually as said by PratoN. So this is ok.

Is it normal it's brown ? There's no color (gray metal) in the above photo of ELCouz.
Cover and protect the electrical components under the hood with plastic wrap and then wash down the engine. Then keep an eye on it and see if it returns.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Just not as visible in that picture.

The steel plug rusts & turns brown, got the same plug on my Duratec 2.3.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cover and protect the electrical components under the hood with plastic wrap and then wash down the engine. Then keep an eye on it and see if it returns.
Just not as visible in that picture.

The steel plug rusts & turns brown, got the same plug on my Duratec 2.3.
Thank you. I was worried a little bit. I am not expert in mechanic. I'll get my dealer to clean the engine bay in november (I was planing too anyway) after I did rust proofing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts