Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I can't put my finger on it. The other day I took off from a stop and the car just plain felt like it didn't want to go. I pressed on the gas pedal and the response just seemed off.

Driving around in town today, every time I leave a stop the car feels especially jerky. I don't think it's shudder that I'm feeling. I kinda freaked for a second thinking it was, then realized I was just hearing that stupid rattle the tranny makes when it changes gears. Also, the other week I was cruising around 2k RPM and the car bogged down for a minute then suddenly revved to 3k RPM. It was so weird.

I bought Tom's tune a couple months ago and I'm pretty happy with it. The thing is, I kinda wondered if the tune is masking worn clutches and making it feel jerky to a point that's uncomfortable. To be clear, I'm not blaming the tune. I put 32k on the clutches and my shudder was especially bad last summer.

I'll probably send a datalog to Tom and see what he says. I also think it's possible some type of sensor might be starting to go out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have a ‘13 DCT & shudder is normal on acceleration. It’s been doing this since I bought it in ‘14. And yes, Ford replaced the clutch, new TCM, all the flash updates etc. none of that made any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a ‘13 DCT & shudder is normal on acceleration. It’s been doing this since I bought it in ‘14. And yes, Ford replaced the clutch, new TCM, all the flash updates etc. none of that made any difference.

This isn't a shudder. A shudder is when it feels like you're driving over a rumble strip. I'm talking about the shifts just simply feeling jerky on rare occasions, and the rattle noise (which is independent of everything and almost always happens) was pretty noticeable.

People just throw every word in the book to describe shudder for example they say grind, stutter, jerk, buck, slip.

I might try to see if it will shift odd in town one of these days and datalog it. It could be totally normal, but how am I to know what's normal once it's custom tuned? I guess asking Tom is the only way.

·
Registered
838 Posts
This isn't a shudder. A shudder is when it feels like you're driving over a rumble strip. I'm talking about the shifts just simply feeling jerky on rare occasions, and the rattle noise (which is independent of everything and almost always happens) was pretty noticeable.

People just throw every word in the book to describe shudder for example they say grind, stutter, jerk, buck, slip.

I might try to see if it will shift odd in town one of these days and datalog it. It could be totally normal, but how am I to know what's normal once it's custom tuned? I guess asking Tom is the only way.

Go ahead & spend $400-500 for a tune & see how that works out for you. In the mean time, I’ll try to find a few more correct terms to describe my sluggish transmission.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go ahead & spend $400-500 for a tune & see how that works out for you. In the mean time, I’ll try to find a few more correct terms to describe my sluggish transmission.

I don't understand, did I say something weird? I'm just saying there is a lot of terms people throw out there and it doesn't help me because as far as I can tell, I don't have a shudder problem. It's just that sometimes it seems like the shifts are extremely abrupt. Like the vehicle is lurching forward. All I'm saying is that's not the same as shudder. Shudder is a sensation in the floor board.

I already have the tune btw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts