Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought that I would share a little repair issue here.

The other day, my wife's mom came over and told me that her car was throwing a CEL and that it was have some throttle issues. So the good son in law that I am, I jumped in her Focus SE and took it out for a test run. I didn't really notice any lag off the line. Then like five minutes later, after leaving a stop, the car pulled up to about 30 mph and just revved all the was to redline and never shifted. I noticed that it started doing this between 2nd and 3rd. Oh boy.

The suck parts of the story is that one: I was a couple miles away from my house and had to do 20 mph all the way back to tell her the car needed to go into the shop. Two, the bill cost over 600 bucks.

The problem came out to be a bad solenoid down in the valve body. Wasn't covered under warranty.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
seems its hardly ever covered under warranty, eh? I often wonder why I bothered buying the extended coverage...but your damned if you do and damned if you dont.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
..:: sleestak ::.. said:
I often wonder why I bothered buying the extended coverage.
I wouldn't. It rarely covers anything and it costs too much. It covers stuff that you wouldn't mind paying for. Alot of times, when the techs see that you have ESP coverage, they do their best to try and say that it shouldn't be covered...I still wouldn't get it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have the 100k powertrain warranty that ford started adding to the foci in late 02 for the later models. It covers very little if anything. Fortunately, it covered a valve cover gasket and a transmission rebuild, unfortunately, that repair took three weeks for the dealer to complete. Around 55k (when the tranny rebuild was done), things started going downhill fast. The shifter had to be adjusted (despite the tranny being yanked from my car 3x, this was my responsibilty), then the front end started making scary noises (still is), resulted in the car needing a tie rod end, which escalated into a steering rack & pinion. All of this, not covered by warranty. Then the ignition switch failed, a failure path nobody had seen on cars other than the focus. Gee, I love being responsible for paying for defects in the car. Way to go Ford! Woo-hoo!

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, having a warranty kinda gives you a piece of mind that hopefully a failure will be honored. But then again things usually don't go wrong until the warranty is obsolete.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
What a surprise...more horror stories about the gutless slushbox called the 4F27E. I'm glad I outright forbade my mom from buying an auto Focus when she got her's last summer...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts