Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You did not mention if you changed the inner seal and reinstalled the inner seal ring or ABS tone ring from the original drum....Aftermarket drums do not come with those parts installed .
Actually most aftermarket drums come with the inner seal ring pressed into the drum (example):

Maybe some really cheap parts store stuff doesnt but if not you can always swap the ring from the old drum to the new.

The inner seal itself (on the spindle) rarely wears out or needs replacing. Just be certain its clean and has a bit of grease on it where is rides on the drum seal ring. And yes the replacement Ford part is ridiculously expensive.

Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Paul,
My last and only set of drums for my Focus (128K miles on the originals) came from Rock Auto... I have used Rock Auto about 90% of the time for all my planned repairs. I believe they were DuraGo Drum Assemblies... $35 each.... They did not have the inner seal ring installed. I didn't realize that until I went to install them. Was able to save the old ones from the original drums... I did install new tone rings and a new inner seal on the spindle.

Looking back at the RockAuto Listing it states " A new dust cap and dust shield must be installed or damage to the wheel bearing may occur. "...... Didn't notice that when ordering...
Also the information on their sit for the seal is wrong... The descriptions are crossed..... The SKF seal looks most like the one from the dealer. The large black plastic ring is designed to work with the install tool and is removed prior to drum install (Per Ford)... It protects the outer edges of the seal during install.

So although I would swear by Rock Auto most os the time..... This one was a screw-up.. on both of our parts.
SteveD.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Paul,
My last and only set of drums for my Focus (128K miles on the originals) came from Rock Auto... I have used Rock Auto about 90% of the time for all my planned repairs. I believe they were DuraGo Drum Assemblies... $35 each.... They did not have the inner seal ring installed. I didn't realize that until I went to install them. Was able to save the old ones from the original drums... I did install new tone rings and a new inner seal on the spindle.

Looking back at the RockAuto Listing it states " A new dust cap and dust shield must be installed or damage to the wheel bearing may occur. "...... Didn't notice that when ordering...
Also the information on their sit for the seal is wrong... The descriptions are crossed..... The SKF seal looks most like the one from the dealer. The large black plastic ring is designed to work with the install tool and is removed prior to drum install (Per Ford)... It protects the outer edges of the seal during install.

So although I would swear by Rock Auto most os the time..... This one was a screw-up.. on both of our parts.
SteveD.
I just looked at the pic for the Durago drums with bearing at the RA site - it shows the seal ring in the pic. Maybe so and so at Durago forgot to put it in on yours. RA can only state what the MFRs tell them. Like I said you can use the old ones although as you probably found they can be a bit of a PITA to remove without bending them.

Paul

·
Registered
16,319 Posts
When I sold drums it was obvious that some makers put the extra parts on and some don't and it even extended to individual makers who might use the parts most of the time but pissed off workers or other would result in sometimes the parts not being installed.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts