Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Yes If Fully Loaded its under 30,000

Votes: 40 42.6%
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One is Ford going to shoot themselves in the foot and outprice this car for its range? I mean the new ST isnt going to be as powerful as the Mazda Speed 3 but im think the price is going to be higher!

Your opinions guys is this car going to be worth what their going to be charging? I mean comparing to other cars in the 27-33k price range.

I was talking with my pops about it because we plan on getting two when they come out but then we started talking stats...

If a fully loaded Focus Ti is 25-26 That would make me think the ST starting point to be 27+ but at that range what other cars are there?

Mazda Speed 3 with 263 Hp starts at 24k
2012 Audi A3s start at 27k
2012 Volvo C30r start at 25k
2012 WRX starts at 25k
and the list goes on and on!

Im hoping Ford doesnt put this car out of its competetive range.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A base Ti starts at what, $23k? I can imagine that an ST will start around $27k without options.

I don't care that it costs more than a Mazdaspeed3. You sit in a Mazda lately? The interior alone is a reason NOT to buy one, not to mention the absolutely dreadful fuel economy.

Ford should charge accordingly because they're making quality products. Power isn't everything. You still have to look at it, sit in it, and maintain it. All areas in which Mazda has issues right now.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A base Ti starts at what, $23k? I can imagine that an ST will start around $27k without options.

I don't care that it costs more than a Mazdaspeed3. You sit in a Mazda lately? The interior alone is a reason NOT to buy one, not to mention the absolutely dreadful fuel economy.

Ford should charge accordingly because they're making quality products. Power isn't everything. You still have to look at it, sit in it, and maintain it. All areas in which Mazda has issues right now.
I have a 2008 MazdaSpeed 3 however, I'm inclined to agree with you about the late model Mazda 3's. The interiors are awful!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The prior posts about the Mazda starting to 'cheap out' is exactly why i would not bother with a Mazda now.
If Ford decides to cheap out on the ST to keep it at some price point, THEN I think they will be doing themselves and all of us a disservice.
What ANY American car company has desparately needed is a high quality small car.
The Focus is close, but not really good enough.
If the give the ST the sort of seating it has in the show models, and all the rest, it could be THAT car that starts making it clear that an American company can actually make a quality small car.
So you can have power, luxury, compactness, sportiness.. looks.. all in one package from an American manufacturer.
And it the ST cost $33,000. so what?
I would rather that, then some dreadful cheap-ass interior.
They have tried it once with the Thunderbird retro car, but it was too specialized.
Hopefully the ST can be an All American winner. (Let's also hope it is not a limited edition car like the SVTs..) So it can be found at a dealer, and is available for a few years..
What i would want in the car is a optional engine managment so I can press a button and have sport, or econo driving. and really get 40mpg in econo mod. Then I just might buy one and trade in the 2012 Focus I now own.. upside down or not.
So Ford:
Make it with those Ricaro seats that looked so cool, and in a tropic Green.. Or a yellow color, and with the ability to besides drive it fast, drive easy and get great mileage, and I will buy one...

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Don't get your hopes up either way

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
My Mazdaspeed 3 was an 08 and it was nice for what it cost, the Focus is much nicer, that said it cost about the same... so I sacrificed the power for a much nicer economy car. The ST concept shown has all the bells and whistles but I wouldn't be surprised if the MFT and stuff is optional to keep the price point lower and keep it in line with the competition.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The prior posts about the Mazda starting to 'cheap out' is exactly why i would not bother with a Mazda now.
If Ford decides to cheap out on the ST to keep it at some price point, THEN I think they will be doing themselves and all of us a disservice.
What ANY American car company has desparately needed is a high quality small car.
The Focus is close, but not really good enough.
If the give the ST the sort of seating it has in the show models, and all the rest, it could be THAT car that starts making it clear that an American company can actually make a quality small car.
So you can have power, luxury, compactness, sportiness.. looks.. all in one package from an American manufacturer.
And it the ST cost $33,000. so what?
I would rather that, then some dreadful cheap-ass interior.
They have tried it once with the Thunderbird retro car, but it was too specialized.
Hopefully the ST can be an All American winner. (Let's also hope it is not a limited edition car like the SVTs..) So it can be found at a dealer, and is available for a few years..
What i would want in the car is a optional engine managment so I can press a button and have sport, or econo driving. and really get 40mpg in econo mod. Then I just might buy one and trade in the 2012 Focus I now own.. upside down or not.
So Ford:
Make it with those Ricaro seats that looked so cool, and in a tropic Green.. Or a yellow color, and with the ability to besides drive it fast, drive easy and get great mileage, and I will buy one...
Right on...the ST should be a halo car for the whole Focus line. Everything should be top-notch. Agreed that it should be available at all Ford dealers (unlike SVT). I can't wait to see one...

Mazda3's do seem a bit cheap now, but I suspect they will move back towards what they had with the previous-gen 3 in terms of styling/quality. If the Mazda3 + Mk3 Focus could be made into 'poor man's BMW's', they would have something. Not there yet...

·
Registered
968 Posts
I highly doubt that the ST will start at $27+k, the Mazda3s GT starts about the same price as the Mazdaspeed3. So It's likely that the ST will start at about the same (slightly higher probably) price as a Titanium.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I highly doubt that the ST will start at $27+k, the Mazda3s GT starts about the same price as the Mazdaspeed3. So It's likely that the ST will start at about the same (slightly higher probably) price as a Titanium.

Posted via FF Mobile
this.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Ricaro seating upgrade for a CTS-V Caddie is $3,000plus option. (that is $3K over the regular seating)
For the ST I would be more like $2,000. with cheaper surfaces and fewer power options than a Caddie CTS-V etc. So (IMO) the seats alone are a $2,000 boost in the ST price right there..
Then you have the turbo, another $1,000 easy. Then the wheels and suspension are another $1,000. upgrade.
The picturess all show it with the top end screen and Sony ten speaker system.
The top of the line Ti with the top options lists at $27,000
Add on $4,000 for the performance goodies and seats.. $31,000.
Subtract auto tranny, but add SIX speed manual, so maybe cut $500 off for difference.

My main wonder is the ST IN THE USA going to have tiers of options? or just one car?
So one could buy a stripped down model, or only one with all the Ti bells and whistles? PLUS the performance packages?
The Euro is clearly going to have three levels for the ST.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
Bring over the Wagon ST or I won't buy one regardless if it's 25k or 35k.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Ricaro seating upgrade for a CTS-V Caddie is $3,000plus option. (that is $3K over the regular seating)
For the ST I would be more like $2,000. with cheaper surfaces and fewer power options than a Caddie CTS-V etc. So (IMO) the seats alone are a $2,000 boost in the ST price right there...
The '12 Boss 302 has a Recaro seat/Torsen helical limited slip package that only costs $1995. I maintain that the ST will be priced pretty close to the Titanium, but could probably be north of $30k with options.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, how on earth can it be called a 2013 car!!!!
Chris

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Im Still not convinced that its going to be a killer car, the performance isnt anything mind-blowing, at least when compared to other cars in its class, and while many people can claim that it is more technologically advanced, my argument is that thats just more things to go wrong. Even a quick glance at the 2012 forums will show you a littering of MFT issues.

Also, i haven't been incredibly impressed with Fords fit and finish lately, its not poor per say, but i can see room for a lot of improvement, in this case, id much rather buy a GTI . A decently setup GTI can run about $25k, and with the money saved, you can easily make up that 50hp, and drop in a stereo unit that will kick the crap out of anything ford OEM has to offer.

Plus, since its a tried and tested platform, things are going to be more reliable, more refined, and generally easier to live with.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
Richard when you say you're not impressed with fit and finish where does that experience come from?

I've rented two SEL '12s in the past two months. One hatch and one sedan for 4 days each (I even put nearly 500 miles on the sedan) and while there were a few things that I didn't care for, the quality of the build was not one of them in either case.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi, how on earth can it be called a 2013 car!!!!
Chris
Just like the one they have been selling is a 2012. It has nothing to do with the year of manufacture, the model year is based on what the government certified it as.

Since it won't be available until after the first of the year it could be certified as either a 12 or a 13. If the certified it as a 12 then they would have to certify it again for 13. Certifying it as a 13 Ford saves some money.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ford needs to offer a sedan version too. Not everyone likes the hatch thing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was very surprised when, at the Mazda dealership yestrday checking out the new SkyActiv engines, they had a brand new 2012 Speed3 for $25.5K. It was lacking the 1 and only option, which is about $2K IMO. But that still puts one fully loaded (even with dealer-installed lfoor mats and bumper guards and yada yada yada...) at $28K. Ford had better come in under $30K or they'll be hurting to compete.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Richard when you say you're not impressed with fit and finish where does that experience come from?

I've rented two SEL '12s in the past two months. One hatch and one sedan for 4 days each (I even put nearly 500 miles on the sedan) and while there were a few things that I didn't care for, the quality of the build was not one of them in either case.
Ive driven a few titaniums thus far, twice at a dealer, and once a distant family members car, all three times, i found that the body panels weren't quite aligned, the wing on the back wasn't centered, and the interior had pieces that weren't secured properly which resulted in rattling.

It's not going to be a "killer car" and I don't think anyone is expecting it to be.
Ford is marketing the ST as their compact performance car, and they are marketing it to compete against other such cars in its class. But when i compare the cars that they have offered, i just cant find a reason the choose the focus over the others. Im not a fan-boy, i go by numbers, and in this case, the focus' numbers arent all that impressive to me.

The only thing that the new ST has going for it that others dont is the technology, which in my opinion is just something to go wrong, as proven by the long list of issues the new focus is having with the MFT.

I voted for option 4 btw, because i do believe that the focus isnt a bad car, but im almost certain that the new focus will cost as much if not more than other cars in its class that i can almost certainly guarantee are the better driving/performing cars.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts