Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and searched and I still am having the same alternator interference. Been going for the last few years.

The issue: loud alternator whine and interference. As soon as the car is started it's buzzing pretty loud, then when I accelerate the whine goes up higher pitched and louder. What's strange is for the first 2 years, I did not have ANY alternator whine, then it progressively got worse. **Interference comes through both front and rear speakers**

System:
New battery (clean terminals)
Pioneer Premier PRS-880 (Receiver)
Oz Audio 180CS components in the front and rear doors.
(2) Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12" subs
Elemental designs Nine.1 for the subs and Nine.4 for the front's
Profile AP600 amplifier for the rear speakers.

Here's what I've done already to troubleshoot:

The Big 3 upgrade (zero gauge)

Grounded the rca cables

Grounded the receiver to the chassis

Checked all grounding locations. They seem solid.

The only questionable thing: Each amp has their own separate power wire going directly to the battery. I realize it's not the right way to do it, but I installed everything myself along time ago not really knowing what the heck I was doing. Also, the amps are grounded at different locations which I've heard can cause interference, however, keep in mind when the system was installed a few years ago there was no engine whine.

Can anyone offer any ideas as to what might be going on? Could it be an issue with my receiver? Amps? Alternator?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Haha nevermind I figured it out.

When I first installed everything a few years ago, the RCA's were grounded (connected) to the back of the head unit via an available screw terminal. Upon further inspection in the garage today, I noticed the ground wire going the head unit came off. Reconnected it and ALL noise went away, as in, completely silent. Halleluja and other curse words too because of how relieved I am.

**So for those of you with annoying alternator whine, make sure among all the other techniques, that grounding your RCA's to the head unit is checked off the list.

A side note, I read somewhere in this forum older Pioneer head units use a PICO fuse and that may be the reason they are so noisy without connecting RCA's to the head unit. Hmm.

If you did read the OP, thank you for your time!

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I'm glad that you figured it out. yeah the PICO issue is a giant drag.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
indeed. i forgot how quiet my car was

1 - 4 of 4 Posts