Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I recently bought an 2005 Ford Focus ST that I took in on a dealer trade, and love the car! I have modified cars before (performance wise) and I have a few questions about the duratec engine, and in particular, the cosworth upgrades.

1) Are Cosworth upgrades really worth the money, and if not, are there alternatives parts from manufacturers that give gains similiar to Cosworth?

2) I have heard of a product called XCAL2, and I assume it is a type of product used for the tuning of aftermarket upgrades for the ECU. Is this similiar to the Cosworth ECU reflash? Which is more cost effective / better?

Thank You all for reading my post and I hope it isn't too newbie for this forum.

Thank You all in Advance,

fatalz

·
☼
7,494 Posts
Cosworth is supposed to be worth the money, but at the same time, it isn't. There really isn't any competition for some of the stuff they offer, such as an intake manifold.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
The Cosworth flash is done by sending them your ECU. All its good for is the making the Cosworth power packages work.

XCal-2 will allow you to have custom flashes made, stored on the unit, and allow you up upload those flashes to your ECU in the car. It also adds a datalogger to the system you can can monitor engine parameters.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
1st off [welcome].

a tune will not help u that much now. wait later when i get I/H/E and cams.

and about the cossi parts IMO they are worth it. they make good parts and are very professional with what they make. but there are some alternatives. MarcyMotorsports has some of them.

and just a bit of advise call MArcy motorsports before you order. he has a bad reputation of shiping, but his parts are 1st class.

as for intake i will suggest u get the FS one, for exhaust i suggest the Borla. i think nortcoast has them, and for headers i suggest the cossworth one, and as for cams i think the cranes are good. for a tune hmmm i suggest marcy or focussport.

i hope this helps

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the warm welcome, and thanks for the information you guys have provided.

I was looking at the Cosworth Stage Packages, but after reading the posts in this thread, I see that there are alternatives!

Thanks so much! [:D]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts