Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about buying from Ford's accessory website,... the set of 4 window deflectors, the hood deflector, and the molded front and rear mud guards. Anyone have opinions on these particular products?

The hood deflector looks pretty flat as in it doesn't look like it will do a good job deflecting air over the windshield. Anyone have it?

The molded mud guards,... any good? Opinions?

Any alternatives? Thanks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I ordered the front wind guards from weather tech, should be installing next wekend when they arive. I have thought about mud gaurds, alot of good things, but unsure if it will make my car look out of place.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've purchased the all-weather floor mats for the Focus from this web site.

Another tip is that when I purchased my wife's 2011 F-150 (yes, she wanted the truck) I found a locking fuel plug for the truck on the Ford Accessories web site. That vehicle, like the 2012 Focus, has the same "Easy Fuel Capless Filler" fuel nozzle.

Well, guess what? The locking fuel plug for the 2011 F-150 fits the 2012 Focus, so I purchased one of those for the Focus as well. Cost was $29.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good tip, js. Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
The mudflaps from Ford don't detract from the look of the car. They actually blend in nicely.

·
Registered
747 Posts
hood deflector is great, i recommend it. Side deflectors would be nice but the ford ones look terrible and weathertech ones look dumb. mud guards, only on a truck or suv imo

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I bought the locking gas cover right away.
It is easy to use.
Helps me to not worry about someone messing up the fuel intake trying to steal gas.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought the locking gas cover right away.
It is easy to use.
Helps me to not worry about someone messing up the fuel intake trying to steal gas.
I think I'm going to get one as well and put it on the moment I get to pick up my car.

AFAIK, the easy fuel cap is made to make stealing gas much harder..though this brings peice of mind that the person trying to steal gas and get frutstrated and not being able to steal it won't put sugar in the tank out of spite.

I have someone steal 3/4 tank of gas out of my previous focus...that day I put in locking fuel caps in all out vehicles. Will not have a vehicle without one now...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was thinking about buying from Ford's accessory website,... the set of 4 window deflectors, the hood deflector, and the molded front and rear mud guards. Anyone have opinions on these particular products?

The hood deflector looks pretty flat as in it doesn't look like it will do a good job deflecting air over the windshield. Anyone have it?

The molded mud guards,... any good? Opinions?

Any alternatives? Thanks.
I have them all. The mud flaps are well integrated into the lines. Material though is finely grained in texture. It does not shed dirt well leaving the black a bit dingy. Look good though imo.

The hood deflector fits well and even though smoke in color does blend with the poano black well. It does require drilling for installation. I beloece the air flow was smoother prior to install. No real difference in insect collection. However with sunroof open above 50mph the "roar" seems muted. I am not sure I'm happy with the looks of the deflector. May pull this off.

The window deflectors, I have only installed the front as yet. Wondered about the looks with the lines. They are a bit clunky in looks. But do not stand too proud to bring them immediately to a viewers attention. Think the rear will go shortly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I put the front & rear mud guards on. Super easy install,

look great, & should protect the paint.

I have the wind deflector, brand new in the box.

I thought I would love it, but,.....

I wasn't thrilled with drilling into my hood,

& thought in the long run, the clips that go on the front

would wear through the paint eventually...

·
Registered
747 Posts
I put the front & rear mud guards on. Super easy install,

look great, & should protect the paint.

I have the wind deflector, brand new in the box.

I thought I would love it, but,.....

I wasn't thrilled with drilling into my hood,

& thought in the long run, the clips that go on the front

would wear through the paint eventually...
That brings up a good point. If you don't know how to install this stuff make sure you have a pro do it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I think I'm going to get one as well and put it on the moment I get to pick up my car.

AFAIK, the easy fuel cap is made to make stealing gas much harder..though this brings peice of mind that the person trying to steal gas and get frutstrated and not being able to steal it won't put sugar in the tank out of spite.

I have someone steal 3/4 tank of gas out of my previous focus...that day I put in locking fuel caps in all out vehicles. Will not have a vehicle without one now...
The "Sugar in the gas tank" story is a misconception. It doesn't make the engine explode, or anything of the kind. About the only thing it can do is make the engine run a little less efficiently for a gallon or less...that's about it. I'm not sure where that old wives tale comes from but it's not realistic.

EDIT: I should explain this since most people believe it to be true. There's an old wives tale that says if you want to get back at someone put sugar in the gas tank. It's believed that the sugar dissolves into the petrol and then when it reaches the engine the combustion heat caramelizes the sugar. This turns it into a kind of "gunk" that finds its way all over the engine and random crevices. Then, when it cools, it turns hard.

This is complete malarkey. The sugar doesn't dissolve into the petrol almost at all. This means it remains a solid, granular, shape. *THIS* means that's picked up by either the sock or the fuel filter (depending on how big the particles are). Either way, it doesn't make its way to the engine. The worst that can happen is you get enough sugar to clog the fuel filter. This just means the person will need to replace the fuel filter a few times (depending on how much sugar was put into the tank). This would cost under $100 for replacing it 3 times (probably about $60). The absolute worst case is there is enough sugar put into the tank that a mechanic will have to drop out the gas tank and empty it. Total cost for something like that would be under $200 (averaging around $150), and then a new tank of gas (full tank from empty is probably around $40 right now). Either way, not devastating to any degree. Most of the time no maintenance at all will be necessary and the car takes care of itself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The "Sugar in the gas tank" story is a misconception. It doesn't make the engine explode, or anything of the kind. About the only thing it can do is make the engine run a little less efficiently for a gallon or less...that's about it. I'm not sure where that old wives tale comes from but it's not realistic.
Since sugar doesn't dissolve it might get sucked up and probably mess up the pump, clog the fuel filter, and/or clog a fuel injector or two.

If nothing else...its crap in my fuel tank I don't want.

It's more of protecting myself from a headache than the thought of my vehicle being disabled.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RPM707,... pics please! Can you post some pics for us to see the mud guards and deflectors? Thanks.

Im good with my hands so installation isnt a problem.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just bought the molded mud guards and the door sills on eBay for less than 100 altogether. I'll share some pics down the road when I get this installed.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Good thread for hood protection options:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263549

I agree with the line of thought that "sugar in the gas tank" is more of a paranoid urban myth. If someone wants to screw with you, they can do a lot more devastating damage in less time. The capless flap requires a perfectly gas nozzle shaped object to even open so if someone puts in that much thought and planning, they will do more than sugar your tank. How about a razor blade or hammer to the paint. I'm not going to ruin the convenience of the cool capless fuel filler based on a one in a million wives tale.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts