Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
GoKart and Me!!!
13,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here are some pics of the recent mods I've done. A new shift knob, ebrake cover and painted center console. I've had the shift knob and ebrake cover in for a week now, but I didn't get the shift knob on right and it came loose while I was driving around post. [ohcrap] I was able to use my multitool to reattach it temporarily. This past weekend I managed to fiddle with it and get it on securely this time. The ebrake cover was a bit disappointing because when I ordered it, I guess I didn't fully read the description as I thought it was the whole handle. It turned out to just be a cover that just went on with some double sided tape. I think it still looks good though. While I had my center console out, I figured I would go ahead and paint it. This first pic is what it looked like the first time before I painted the center console:

Here's what it looks like now after I painted and secured the shift knob:[hihi]

The little plastic cover sleeve that fits below the shift knob didn't fit the way I wanted it to, plus I had to trim it and ended up trimming it a bit short so I had to improvise with a piece of the stock sleeve to get it to work right and ended up using some black tape as cleanly as I could. What more could you expect from a universally fitting shift knob? [dunno]

I still have more painting projects in the works, but have to wait for Thanksgiving when I have a four day weekend. More to follow. Hope you enjoyed the show. [:D]

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
Are you attempting to do a two-tone interior?

I like the painting...but not sure if it matches the tan interior.

Also....you should do the ATX shifter cutdown and put a boot on it....I think that it looks hot!

Good luck modding and keep us updated.

·
Stock
5,040 Posts
Hmm Id say either sand the texture out of it to make it nice and smooth or use a lower gloss paint. Looks way to shiney for textured interior pieces.

I like that ebrake cover though.

·
FocusFreak
2,438 Posts
some constructive criticism: i think the paint is too glossy for the texture that these panels have. Either sand the texture down and paint it semi-gloss or gloss, or go with a satin finish instead.

nice effort though [thumb]

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I like the black idea, but the gloss makes it look like a weekend garage job. Honestly I'd sand it down. Primer it with a grey, and then try a flat black. Spray it on at a distance of about 5-feet until it barely covers. Let it dry. Do three coats. Let it hang overnight.

·
GoKart and Me!!!
13,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The texture is from the plastic molding, not from the paint. I did use gloss black, though. I did have to use the flash on the camera, which is prolly accented the glossiness. When you just look at it, it doesn't seem as glossy. Prolly shoulda went with more of a satin, though. All in all, I don't think it turned out too bad. I think it will look better once I get the rest of my interior done. This was just a start.

·
Ehh...
6,265 Posts
i kno where u got the shift knob. i was thinkin about gettin the samething, but i wasnt sure. but i might be able to now since it looks good. how hard was it to fit the knob on and is the o/d button functional?

·
GoKart and Me!!!
13,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The o/d button is functional. The o/d wasn't difficult. I cut the plug from the stock knob, leaving plenty of wire in case I had to put it back on, and spliced the wires from the plug and knob together. This way made for a cleaner install, plus still allows me to just unplug it if I ever have to take the knob off for some reason. The instructions stated to just do a hard splice and eliminate the plug altogether. The most difficult part was finding out which wire from the knob was "power" as both wires from the knob are black and the one from the stock knob had one red and one black. Once I found out which was which I just spliced them and taped them.

I got the knob from Auto Accesory Store for anyone else interested. My recommendation if you decide on this...just go with the black insert. You will save a bit of $$$ because I ordered the CF insert and it was garbage, didn't look good at all, so I didn't use it.

·
Ehh...
6,265 Posts
^^^ well it looks good, but just add a boot and ur go to go!

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
i think its a bit to glossy but besides that it looks good

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
So this is what you were working on huh. I think you should ditch the e-brake cover and get an SVT e-brake handle (perforated leather). Also like said, get you a shift boot.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Don't put a shift boot on it; it's an automatic. Just shorten the shifter.

·
GoKart and Me!!!
13,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So this is what you were working on huh. I think you should ditch the e-brake cover and get an SVT e-brake handle (perforated leather). Also like said, get you a shift boot.
I've shopped around for an actual ebrake handle, but haven't found one I like yet. Got a link for a SVT handle?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts