Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My check engine light is on and my gas cap light is on. I replaced my fuel filter , and after that i disconnected my battery anfd i turned it on and in came on again the check engine. I have it on for like 3 weeks. i went to auto zone and they said its somethin with the fuel system. do I have to change the fuel pump now? how do i do that. for the gas cap light it came on 3 days ago . shoul i chang e the gas cap.
I HAVE AN O4 SVT FOCUS.
My check engine was on before the gas cap light.
I have 39kmi on it. should i do a tune up ?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
What year focus do you have?

Did you get an actual CODE from the reader AutoZone used or did they use one? Curious......

There are several threads on this site that explain issues with the gas cap light. Hit the SEARCH button above and search 'gas cap light' and things like that and you'll find some more ideas, solutions, etc.....

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"its somethin with the fuel system."

Perhaps something more specific, like the actual code, would be helpful in getting a better quality and quantity of replies.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
when you replaced your fuel filter, did you happen to disconnect, pinch, crack or pull too hard on the black line with green connectors right near the filter? If so, that's a piece of your evaporative emissions system, and if it leaks vapor, both of those lights will come on.

Pop your head under there and check those lines out, follow them as far as you can up to the gas tank. Make sure they are intact, unbent, and attached.

Obviously, both lights will come on if you leave your gas cap loose, also.

If you find anything wrong, fix it and then go to Autozone and have the code cleared. It takes forever for the car to self-test and clear that code, so either disconnecting the battery or using Autozone's free service is the best way to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts