Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that a clear liquid is slowly leaking from under the front passenger side of my car.

I don't think it's the A/C. It's clear, but it leaves a stain on the concrete. I touched it and it's kind of greasy.

I have noticed that the coolant seems to run low really often. I just got it filled about a month or two ago and it's already under the minimum line. I drive about 150 miles a week and don't use the A/C much. I don't know much about cars, but that doesn't sound normal.

Any help is appreciated. :D

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Front passenger would be the area of the water pump and lower radiator hose.
Could simply be a hose is not on all the way or the clamp is loose. Or it could be the bearing in the water pump being done for, replace the water pump.

If you have to add coolant regularly, it's a good bet it's coolant. LOL.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have seen the A/C water actually get a greasy feel to it by running over oil we have spilled trying to get the oil filter off of a Zetec powered Focus. The oil kind of sits on the frame area in about the same place the A/C water runs out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips, everyone.

My initial guess was coolant, but it's not green.

I'll check with a mechanic and see what they think.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
mine leaks just hair.
Whoa, that's trippy.

It sounds like coolant to me. You should take Iminhell's advice and look on the snout of the water pump for water seeping out of there while the engine is running. That would indicate a water pump going bad.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You may also take a look at the underside of the coolant tank. The one on my 2000 had a small crack in the bottom. Didn't see it til I was replacing the motor mount and had the tank out.
Just another thing to check if you don't find the leak in the pump.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
You may also take a look at the underside of the coolant tank. The one on my 2000 had a small crack in the bottom. Didn't see it til I was replacing the motor mount and had the tank out.
Just another thing to check if you don't find the leak in the pump.
This especially if you noticed your car running hotter than usual. Otherwise, I'd start by following the adivce laid out by Iminhell. The lower radiator hose is a PITA since it is buried behind the A/C compressor. Try putting a sheet of copy paper under the overflow, the contact points of the lower radiator hose, and the water pump when you park it over night and see if you can pin point which is leaking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts