Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have some ideas for my Focus, if you need a picture check out my photo gallery, I will have more pictures up tonight with roofrack installed and head unit fixed. Also having the windows tinted in a week or two. Also either going with the black and gunmetal look or the black and chrome look, haven't decided. I apologize for long post I'll try to organize it as best I can.

Here's my ideas

1.) Side plastic door handles and side view mirrors. I want to paint these black so I get the shiny look that the car has as opposed to the dull plastic. I plan on buying some touch up paint from the dealership to touch up a scratch on my front bumper thanks to another dealership. How would the plastic door handles and side view mirrors hold black paint? Could I give them that shiny black look the car body has? What would I need to do this?

2.) Headlights and taillights, I'd like to get a better looking set of these with a smoked look. What fits in a 2006? Could someone recommend something? I really like the looks of the ST170's. I'd definetly want something that is either chrome or gunmetal or smoked.

3.) Front grill and street appearance package grill. I'd like to paint the grill either gunmetal or chrome (depends on what kind of rims I get next summer). At the moment it is drab plastic. What would I need, how could I do this, is it even possible?

4.) Interior mod - Automatic shifter. My parents recently got a 2006 Mercury Montego and I love the automatic shift it has. I was looking online at namotorsports and found this...
http://www.namotorsports.net/detail.cfm/part_cd/MOCTESIL
is this easy to install? I believe it's automatic. Also my shifter has the O/D button underneath the thumb button, I'll get a picture of it tonight. Can I swap these or is this going to be a pain?

My biggest worry is peeling with the paint and no one wants a finished product that looks good for a year but then looks like shit after that.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
1) Just spray them with clearcoat after wetsanding them with 400/800 grit sandpaper.

2) Nothing fits 2005+ model headlights. Only option for the time being is to open them up, and paint them black.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Foci_Fosho said:
2) Nothing fits 2005+ model headlights. Only option for the time being is to open them up, and paint them black.
that does look very nice though, if i had an 05'+ it'd probably be one of my first mods

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I've got about 1/4 of a can of VHT NiteShades left. I can bring it to the meet for you. You should be able to get a light tint out of it for your tails. I think a light tint would look better than pitch black personally.

As for the headlights, I just had my first experience baking lights, it's some what easy but you have to be really paitient. and yes the painted black lights look great on your year.

I think a gunmetal grille would look great. Trouble would be to find "gunmetal" paint. But you could probly get close.

I don't know your model year, I've never been in one, but if you have a button on your shifter that one probly wont work. (like how some acuras and mercedes shifters dont have buttons, the shift patterns are like a maze, for lack of a better description)

I'm going to be replacing my shifter soon too. I'm going to be going to a ford dealer to find a good one. The one on the Freestyle looks just like the one you picked out and it will fit, however you would have to add an OD button somewhere. There are other options, just go shopping at a dealership. I'll let you know what I get.

As for the painting the plastic, I havnt gotten to painting mine yet, but with a few coats of primer it should really stick. I've painted plastic interior and it worked great. I plan on painting my mirrors and door handles too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts