Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOHC Starter Installation Problems Need Help ASAP! FIXED NOW !!

[rant] I have just installed a new engine in my 02 SPI Focus with auto transmission. I installed it with the intake on it. Now here is the problem. I am trying to get the starter stabbed in the bellhousing but there is not enough clearance for the starter to go in the bellhousing because of the oil pressure sending unit. The starter does not clear it enough to go in the bellhousing. Has anyone else run into this problem??? It seems it will definitely be easier to stab from under the car since I have it on jack stands instead of trying to get it in from the top and fight the tight space between the intake and bellhousing and honestly I really cant see where it would make any difference about it going in as it the end of the starter has to clear that pressure switch either way. If I have to remove the switch will I be able to get it back in with the starter in place? Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to finish this install tonight !! Thanks Kars

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after several hours of trying to figure this problem out I finally found the solution !! First I took my starter to Oreilly's A/P to compare it to a new strarter to make sure the shop I had taken the starter to to do a rebuild had not changed a housing or something that altered the length of the starter, well it was exactly the same as the new one so that wasn't it. Next I tried to get a fitting to change the angle to mount the o/p switch and let the front of the starter pass by the o/p switch and the other end go in the bellhousing. Well that diddn't work either, as it still hit the switch.

Well after all this I was thinking that maybe there was more than one hole in the oil passage that was further forward. Well sure enough there was a 1/4 in pipe plug in the passage about 4 inches towards the front of the motor. After removing the 1/4 in plug I pumped air thru the passage and sure enough it came out of the other hole. Needless to say since I had not noticed the difference in the location of the o/p switch hole that was plugged in the new block I put in and that it was the one I actually needed to use to install the o/p switch. Apparently the back hole is used on the standard shift models and the forward hole is for an automatic transmission car. I guess I should have paid more attention but I never thought about it and the old block was already back at the rebuiilders shop in Carolina so I could not compare them.

Anyway be aware that the starter is different on the stick models and is actually shorter in length so the switch location can be used in the rear hole but for an automatic trans car you have to use the front hole to install the o/p switch and believe me it was hard to see since it was flush with the block and was also painted black so it was pretty hard to even notice it once the engine is installed.

So in retrospect I hope anyone installing a new short/ longblock that ever has this same problem maybe it will save you a lot of grief !! I think I will finally be able to actually start the motor tomorrow wih no other major calamaties !!! ~~~Thanks, Kars

1 - 2 of 2 Posts