Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done with a bearing change, so I decided to change front brakes while I had the car up. When I got her back on the road they brakes are super spongy and have to put the pedal almost all the way down to start slowing down.
I had the caliper hanging for about an hour when I was changing the bearing before tying it up.
Didn't see any leaking fluid or anything like that.
However if I pump them with the car off they will go back to normal til the next time I hit them on the road.

Anyone have any suggestions of what it is?!
Need to drive her to work tomorrow.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Just got done with a bearing change, so I decided to change front brakes while I had the car up. When I got her back on the road they brakes are super spongy and have to put the pedal almost all the way down to start slowing down.
I had the caliper hanging for about an hour when I was changing the bearing before tying it up.
Didn't see any leaking fluid or anything like that.
However if I pump them with the car off they will go back to normal til the next time I hit them on the road.

Anyone have any suggestions of what it is?!
Need to drive her to work tomorrow.
Hopefully you had the caliper hanging w/ a coat hanger or something & not by the brake hoses. I'd bleed the brakes. How do the brake hoses look like?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The brake lines look fine, I had a zip tie on the caliper itself not the line. I guess I will bleed the brakes this weekend and see if that fixes it

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The brake lines look fine, I had a zip tie on the caliper itself not the line. I guess I will bleed the brakes this weekend and see if that fixes it
Plus its good to flush out your old brake fluid.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
When you say you changed the front brakes, do you mean new pads/rotors or did you actually change the caliper? If its the earlier, not sure why you would have squishy brakes unless you nicked/cracked the rubber line somehow.

Id look closely at the lines, see if you notice any fluid at all.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
We had one poster not long ago who ended up with a damaged master cyl. from (my guess from the story) squishing the pistons in too fast with a c-clamp. That one wasn't paying much attention IMHO because he overflowed the reservoir in the process as well.

Re-check your installation, had one with a spring clip on wrong and that made the caliper move when at rest, resulting in a soft pedal when not "pumped up". Pads only retract SLIGHTLY when the pedal is released, wrong clip position made his 'cock" a little & retract More so it took a pump before they were firm at each application.

That, or possibly pins not moving smoothly are my best guess. Anything that keeps them from clamping properly & staying there when released can cause this. You can SEE it in most cases if you look at the calipers when someone presses & releases the pedal - there should be minimal movement of the caliper.

IF the caliper moves too much on application, you've found the one with the problem as there isn't capability in the system to move them much on brake application. No "pedal" at all until they come into proper contact with the pads/disc. Pads not right in the holders are another possibility, they need clean contact points and should fit square & tight to the rotors.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
X2...........improperly placed spring clips. Thecaliper then moves all over the place to not be able to lock solid. Should be no soft pedal at all if you did not disconnect hose at any time, it should go right back to working well. Meaning clip..........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts