Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal...a friend of mine at work takes great care of his black jeep. His paint looks awesome and my black ZX3 always looks dirty or spotted cause its black. I asked him how he manages to keep it so spot free and clean and he said the trick was using just water and no car wash soap when you clean it. He said the soap is bad for your paint over a long period of time too cause it oxidizes or something. I gave it a try today and it came out better than Ive ever seen, no spots afterward and it came just as clean with nothing but watter? Is this really better and does anyone else use this method? Are there any long term problems?

·
Registered
705 Posts
No offense to your friend buy there is a reason for soap, it has detergents which remove contaminents from the paint . Also water doesnt break down to get into microscopics areas to remove contaminents, thats why we use soap to wash our hands it breaks the waters coheasion to enable it to enter the smaller areas of our body. Also depending on where you are the water itself might harm the paint if you dont use soap cause it is hard water. The water at my aunts house fo risntance will stain my car if left to air dry versus rain water or the water at the do it yourself where i wash my car.

Also maybe he is talking about using dishsoap on your car, that would eventually remove some stuff (i dont know what but it does cut through grease, like it would through wax) and then yes it would harm your paint.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Not only that, but the soap bubbles are also what helps to lift the dirt away from the surface of your paint... otherwise you are just rubbing the dirt around on your paint then rinsing it off.

If you are getting streaks on your car after you wash it, then you are using too much of the soap in your bucket when you wash. If you are getting spots, then invest in a good chamois and hand dry it after you wash it.

No one said this stuff was easy or quick. Invest a little time and effort and the results will be much better.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a great chamois, but even after I use it and get all the water off there are still spots, its like the spots are under the finish, they dont come off if you rub them or anything?

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
clay bar.....Klasse all in one and High Gloss...will prevent the spots from comming back and etching into the clear coat. The spots are most probably from "acid" rain.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, well all said and done what is the best soap to be using for less spotting and better shine and clean? I also heard its better to use polish rather than wax?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mequiars is all i'll ever use. they are the best. after i wsh it with mequiars gold class i dry it off and use mequiars quik detailer on it, looks amazing everytime

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
depends on what you need. If I'm gonna wax my car then I use Dawn to strip all the old wax off it, then I'll clay bar, then wash again with Dawn, then dry and wax. If I'm just washing the car then I'd use something like Meguiar's or Blue Coral, they get the dirt off but save the wax.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow I forgot I posted this threat, its been so long lol, Ive decided to just use regular car soap when its really dirty, and just pure water when its not too bad, works well either way

·
Registered
75 Posts
JoesephMama said:
Mequiars is all i'll ever use. they are the best. after i wsh it with mequiars gold class i dry it off and use mequiars quik detailer on it, looks amazing everytime
[werd]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts