Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have $400 and a ported box with 2 10" holes and 2 tweeter holes(not sure what size) I want 2 subs and at least one amp big enough to pull em. I'd like an aftermarket HU to top it off, but I'm not sure if I have enough.... What should I get?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
check ebay for good quality stuff for cheap. Alot of time you can get 2 Audiobahn 10" for like $120-150 and they are really good.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Audiobutt is a waste of money if you want quality. They simply cater to the bling factor crowd.

Are those holes the ports, or are they separate holes?

Need to know the volume of the box (cubic feet). If you don't know, then measure the box and also the thickness of the wood used. We can figure it out from there.

Is it one open space, or two separate partitions?

What size are the ports? round? square? size in diameter? length?

Post a pic.

As for sub options, it really depends on the box.

For that budget, Elemental Designs will work.
Two 11Kv.2 dual 4 ohm subs with a Nine.2x amp will run $420.75 shipped at:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/packages.php

Type R Alpine with Alpine amp might fit.

There are other options, but we need the box information first.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, here you go. The wood is about 3/4 in thick(forgot to look just now and I don't feel like going back out to the shed to check) The sub enclosures are seperated

I couldn't get a real pic of the side(batteries died), but heres what it looks like:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Looks about .84cft per sub and tuned about 35 to 40 hertz.

The eD 11Kv.2 subs:
Specs here:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=1&pid=14&tab=Apps&cur=USD

Dual 4 ohms subs each wired in series for an 8 ohm load, then to each other to the amp in Parallel for a final 4 ohm load.

Do the package with the eD Nine.2x amp for at least 600w at 4 ohms when bridged.

As linked above, the package price is $420.75

You could also do a pair of dual 2 ohm Alpine SWR-1022D subs with an Alpine MRP-M650 or MRD-M605 amp for $388 or $423 plus shipping from: http://www.ikesound.com/category-category_id/115

Dual 2 ohms subs each wired in series for an 4 ohm load, then to each other to the amp in Parallel for a final 2 ohm load.

Both setups will have 600w RMS to use. Remember the sub ohm configuration has to match the correct amp for the best power.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, those setups look nice, but like I said before, I'd really like to get a cd player too.... And the one I really want is $200....... Should I save up somemore or is there a decent sub/amp setup I can for $200

BTW, What's a group buy?

·
Registered
379 Posts
shitcan all of it and buy the infinity basslink. 400 retail, save u lots of space with lots o punch

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Save some more money.

Here's the best $200 you can spend on a used HU...
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4111
It has a mark on the face. Look on eBay as well. They usually run $200 or so, like new.

I had an Alpine CDA-9815. It was the top of the line $550 HU in 2003.
The top units since then are the same internally!!

If you want to spend $300 or so, then you might consider the new Pioneer P880PRS.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
-----edited cause im not arguing with idiots online------

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The 9815 is nice, but I was looking at the 9856 on crutchfield...... $200 shipped and they send the harness and the mounting bracket for free......

Found one of the 9815's on ebay..... the bid is at $160 and it ends in 4 hours.... It has a remote, but no manuals...... Should I go for it?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I have a manual on the computer, and you can download it in pdf from Alpine's site.

The 9815 is night and day difference from the 9856.

9813, 9815, 9833, 9835, 9855 (not 9853 as it was downgraded)

The 5 series have better screens. 15, 35, 55.

All have 6 DACs, 6ch Time Alignment, 2 or 3-way Crossovers with up to 4th order slopes, 5-band Parametric EQ, etc.

The 9835 has an external DC-DC convertor for better voltage, and without the sometimes problematic 9855 touch bar.

The Eclipse CD8445 is a good buy as well.

The P880 does 3-way in pro mode if ever needed, and also has dual 16-band GEQ.

The P880 is new for about $285 on eBay.

8445 and 9835 around $250 used.

9815 around $200 used. (by the way, I didn't find a 9815 on eBay)

You DON'T want a 9851. (completely different unit without 6ch DSP, and only 2 DACs)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I'm still the highest bidder($160) on this item..... it ends at 2:01am est...... I'll be up then, so hopefully I can remain the high bidder....... Is there a price you wouldn't go over?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I would be hesitant because there are no photos.

I'd email him for photos.

The other one from stewartanderson looks good and has photos, and a no DOA guarantee.

Wait to see if someone outbids you, then decide if you want to wait for the next one that ends in 12 hours.

In excellent condition with a No DOA guarantee, I'd go $220.
They show up all the time for $200 to $225 on various forums.

By the way, never ever bid on eBay until the last minute.
Otherwise, you drive up the price. [;)]
Put in your max bid in the last minute.
That doesn't mean you have to pay that amount, provided the next highest bid is a lot less.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts