Votes: 33 68.8%
  • Other (Do share)

Votes: 10 20.8%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many things that can draw a person to a particular car whether it be for looks, features, or for price alone. I'd like to know how people here came to decide on purchasing a Focus over the competition.
Personally it was down between a Fiesta, a new Hyundai Elantra, a (barely) used Ford Five hundred, or a Kia Forte Koup. It was a tough choice as they were all great cars and quite frankly I would have been happy to have any of them. The Fiesta, although nimble was too small and under-powered for my tastes. My previous car was a 1996 Cadillac Deville which at 19 feet long and with 300 horsepower made the Fiesta look tiny and slow; 6.4 seconds to sixty is a far cry from nearly 11.
I seriously considered the Elantra, that is before I drove it. It was a perfectly pleasant car with nothing that stuck out at me; reminds me a bit how older Toyota's used to be. Quiet, comfortable, and cheap but less exciting than a bag of potatoes. The Kia looked stunning from the outside, had more power and sportiness than previous cars I tested, but felt really cheap on the inside. Black hard plastics everywhere, in fact, black everything. It was just too much, and too little compared to the competition. The Five-Hundred most reminded me of my Cadillac, it was roomy, comfortable as anything, but had similarly bad gas mileage. The Focus however was just right, sporty but not compromisingly so like my dads mazda 3. It looks fantastic, is plenty big for my needs, and above all got amazing mileage; going from 16 around town to 29 is unbelievable.
So thats why I got mine, and If you're still here I'd love to know why you got yours.[:)]

·
Registered
968 Posts
There are many things that can draw a person to a particular car whether it be for looks, features, or for price alone. I'd like to know how people here came to decide on purchasing a Focus over the competition.
Personally it was down between a Fiesta, a new Hyundai Elantra, a (barely) used Ford Five hundred, or a Kia Forte Koup. It was a tough choice as they were all great cars and quite frankly I would have been happy to have any of them. The Fiesta, although nimble was too small and under-powered for my tastes. My previous car was a 1996 Cadillac Deville which at 19 feet long and with 300 horsepower made the Fiesta look tiny and slow; 6.4 seconds to sixty is a far cry from nearly 11.
I seriously considered the Elantra, that is before I drove it. It was a perfectly pleasant car with nothing that stuck out at me; reminds me a bit how older Toyota's used to be. Quiet, comfortable, and cheap but less exciting than a bag of potatoes. The Kia looked stunning from the outside, had more power and sportiness than previous cars I tested, but felt really cheap on the inside. Black hard plastics everywhere, in fact, black everything. It was just too much, and too little compared to the competition. The Five-Hundred most reminded me of my Cadillac, it was roomy, comfortable as anything, but had similarly bad gas mileage. The Focus however was just right, sporty but not compromisingly so like my dads mazda 3. It looks fantastic, is plenty big for my needs, and above all got amazing mileage; going from 16 around town to 29 is unbelievable.
So thats why I got mine, and If you're still here I'd love to know why you got yours.[:)]
We looked at the Fiesta also, but it was too small (two kids in carseats), so when we saw the new Focus had similar styling we "built our own" @ Ford.com

We realized we could get everything we wanted:
*hatchback
*manual
*leather
*sunroof
*turn signals in the side mirrors

And excellent fuel economy, I briefly considered the Mazda 3s GT but the Focus seemed the better choice for these reasons:
*substantially more space behind rear seats
*substantially better fuel economy
*front end "styling" of the Mazda...

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tired of getting speeding tickets in my Mitsubishi Evo, so traded it in for my Focus. The overall good reviews, styling, Ford's improvement in quality, great gas mileage and features swung me over to the Ford camp.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, I ticked them all, I just needed a smaller car to replace my Mk4 Mondeo, but I didn't want to go lower with the quality or the features, plus I wanted a car that was bang up to date with it's looks. The 1.6 Ecoboost engine uses diesel technology thus it has a lot of torque, thus good performance, but good economy also.
Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't vote yet.

#1 - needed better fuel economy but not sure I wanted to think about replacing batteries every 80k miles on a Hybrid.

#2 - I've always been a Toyota person but wanted to buy an American car and support Ford - made in Michigan.

#3 - saw a new Focus on the road and liked the look.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I can't vote either. but I got it because of the fuel mileage. with two high performance V8 and gas running between 3-4 bucks a gallon I needed something I could count on for a decent monthly gas bill. been looking for awile but held off because of the uncertainty of when I would be getting back to the states. Now was the time, I wanted American, and was going to buy Ford since I own two others and own stock in them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought the overall package - - a relatively small car that was quiet, comfortable, fun to drive, upscale options available & to top it off it has great fuel economy - - the car I've been waiting for Ford to build for the past 30 years!

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have seen 1st gen Prius with over 250k miles on their factory batteries, I don't think anybody has had to replace them @ 80k.

That said, I still wouldn't buy a hybrid because they're not economical when you compare them to their non-hybrid counterparts.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
967 Posts
My current car is having issues and is likely on the verge of dying, so I needed something new. Gas prices in Canada are INSANE so I needed something efficient, plus I think the focus looks great styling wise and I couldn't believe what features I could get in the car for the price.

·
Registered
212 Posts
All of the above. I was looking for a manual and that was top priority at the time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The three reasons I'm buying a new focus are:

#1 Gas mileage my work commute was recently doubled and with gas prices being what they are my weekly fuel bill is killing me.

#2 The new styling and features really got me looking, plus the fact that my oldest just graduated from high school and needs a car to commute to and from college, so she gets the 9 year old Bull (Taurus).

#3 I'm a Ford guy (Have been for 25 years) so there was no real way I was gonna be looking @ something else.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Some assclown ran a red light (and took off! 18 yr old punk texting. Witnesses estimated 50 mph and no brake lights!!!!) and totalled wife's loaded 07 SES Foci with 50k and garage kept. Heck, she even changed her own oil! (With me setting up the lift lol)

She was bummed when we couldn't find anything close as she was fine with same generation and even me transferring leather seats and interior over but there's nothing out there even close to as good shape as hers. The good news is we paid 14300 (on A plan with lots of heavy incentives due to 08's on the lot) and after much effort pushing the defandants insurance and buying the car back and reselling the car for double what I paid to get everything I paid for the car when we bought it in October 07....

The wife hasn't looked back after the new car. She loves everything the new car is that the old wasn't! She only had to give up leather which we're working with Katskinz for a set of theirs for the 12's. She was insistent on 5 speed so SE and she loathes the Tuscany red although I don't mind it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
For me, I was looking for something to replace my 2002 Neon. Its was a good car but with 210,000km I was starting to put money into it every summer. That and the best I could get was around 11-12L/100km (around 24-25mpg)

After reading consumer reports praise, I had my heart set on the Elantra! It was the first car we test drove, and everything was going to compare to it. Well after driving it in the city and highway, my wife felt car sick and it just didnt handle the way I thought it would. Its a great looking car but it, we just didn't feel "it".
Next was the New Honda (it felt cheap and we really hated the interior), the Forte (looked nice but felt cheap and wondered how it would hold up to Manitoba winters) and lastly the Nissan Sentra (just thought the interior was ugly and it felt too small).

Then my wife said, why don't we try the Focus? Well to keep her happy I said fine. I didn't have a hope for it. I mean I loved the way it looked, but its a Focus. I've never owned a Ford in my life. Well one test drive later, I now own my first Ford. It handled great, has a nice amount of power for an "economy" car, and it just felt right! I know consumer reports said that the Focus has a quirky transmission and little rear leg room. I've found that the transmission smooths out the more you drive it and it learns your driving style/habit. The leg room isn't bad, and more so we find the seat is actually wider than our SUV. 3 people can sit side-by-side alot more comfortably.
I have no regrets getting our Focus, and everyday I drive it, I love it even more!

·
Registered
49 Posts
For me, was love at the first sight, driving to my work, Ford dealer had my Ti Yellow
(flashy)) Blaze at first row, I just said " i want that beauty" when I went for a test drive, we closed the deal :)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Much like the OP and eyeballeater's post above me... I looked all around the C-segment.

I had a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 before this... fun car, but I modded it, and I didn't get the performance out of it I expected for the money I put into it... after a lot of effort it was still under 300hp to the wheels. It also got 25-26mph hwy, and I've been driving to bigger cities a lot more lately, being less than 2 hours away from 2 major cities in FL I have a good amount of options for things like concerts and theme parks around me, so I drive there often, and I HATED driving in cities with a manual.

So my list was:
Awesome MPG
Automatic
Cheap-ish

I ventured to look at the Chevy Cruze and Dodge Avenger for comprison's sake, but wouldn't buy because Ford is the only domestic that didn't steal our money to be bailed out of problems they caused. But, the first car I really was set on was the Kia Forte Koup SX (to keep SOME sportiness)... under 20k, decent amount of power, looks awesome to me, but then I test drove it.. the automatic had no throttle control, barely tapping it, the car pulled like I floored it, and the "sporty" exhaust note just sounded terrible too, very noticeable from inside, would have been the Mazdaspeed 3 all over again.

I then looked online, built a lot of cars, and did a LOT of research.. the Elantra looked great, the Civic was super cheap and as always great mileage, Lancer was out of the question as Mitsu's everday lineup has been lacking for years IMO, the Jetta was decontented and looks cheap now, and so finally I looked at Ford's website, JUST for the hell of it.. and there it was on the home page, the 2012 Focus.

So I took a look at it online... looked great, flashy, but not overstated, interior looked awesome, full of cool tech that other competitors didn't have, etc. BUT, it was a Focus!?

So I drove to the Ford dealership and talked to who later became my salesman, Glenn. I told him much like I told the Kia salesman that I didn't want to talk numbers, I just wanted to drive the car. The Kia salesman continuously asked me questions about the process throughout the drive, whether I was going to trade in, how many miles and what kind of car, etc. and it just pissed me off, he also called me the wrong name the second time I visited him to get a trade-in quote. Glenn however, simply said okay, we walked to the Foci, looked around, I drove a white SEL with MFD but no MFT, took it around the block, and I absolutely LOVED it, it felt so composed, confident, solid, quiet, etc. It was simply fantastic. I then looked into a Titanium to check out the MFT system, which Glenn knew his way around as well.

So a few weeks later, some trade-in quotes, and some negotiations done, I walked out of the dealership on a Saturday morning with the keys to my SGM SEL Sedan Glenn found at another dealership 3 states away that had everything I wanted in it, and drove home. That was 2 weeks ago and I've been loving it ever since.

·
Registered
187 Posts
After my daughter moved to Australia in February, I was left with three cars. A new Acura MDX, a 2004 MDX, and her 2009 Honda Fit.

I like having 2 cars, an SUV or a pick-up and a daily driver that gets good gas mileage. This spreads the annual mileage over two cars, 10,000 miles per car rather then 20,000 miles on one car.

The Fit was a 5 speed and black. I have had my knees replaced and I found a manual was not as much fun as they used to be. A black car in Texas in the summer is really hot when you first get in it. The AC labored to cool the car off.

So when I saw the Focus I found a car with features to match my 2011 MDX Advance, gas mileage to match the Honda Fit, that I could get in a cool color, (white, silver, etc.), and that was stylish.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My Car

If I had to pick (which I am just a few days away from being able to vote). The fuel economy probably is the most influential factor of my decision, but truthfully, All of these above reasons are why I decided on the 2012 Focus.

It drives well, interior is sporty, the re-designed exterior is to my liking (i like the sedan style more than the hatch - IMO). but i wanted something that I could drive and be happy with over the next few years, because I plan to own the car as long as it runs. Many say its like a compact luxury car for 1/2 the price, and I for one happen to agree with that statement. Even though mine is not fully-loaded titanium (which I would love to have gotten - it just wasn't in my budget) I still love all the features on my car and I am very happy with my decision. IMO, this should be the best compact car of this year - I just don't think I'd still be this happy today if I had gotten any other brand/model compact car.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Much like the OP and eyeballeater's post above me... I looked all around the C-segment.

I had a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 before this... fun car, but I modded it, and I didn't get the performance out of it I expected for the money I put into it... after a lot of effort it was still under 300hp to the wheels. It also got 25-26mph hwy, and I've been driving to bigger cities a lot more lately, being less than 2 hours away from 2 major cities in FL I have a good amount of options for things like concerts and theme parks around me, so I drive there often, and I HATED driving in cities with a manual.

So my list was:
Awesome MPG
Automatic
Cheap-ish

I ventured to look at the Chevy Cruze and Dodge Avenger for comprison's sake, but wouldn't buy because Ford is the only domestic that didn't steal our money to be bailed out of problems they caused. But, the first car I really was set on was the Kia Forte Koup SX (to keep SOME sportiness)... under 20k, decent amount of power, looks awesome to me, but then I test drove it.. the automatic had no throttle control, barely tapping it, the car pulled like I floored it, and the "sporty" exhaust note just sounded terrible too, very noticeable from inside, would have been the Mazdaspeed 3 all over again.

I then looked online, built a lot of cars, and did a LOT of research.. the Elantra looked great, the Civic was super cheap and as always great mileage, Lancer was out of the question as Mitsu's everday lineup has been lacking for years IMO, the Jetta was decontented and looks cheap now, and so finally I looked at Ford's website, JUST for the hell of it.. and there it was on the home page, the 2012 Focus.

So I took a look at it online... looked great, flashy, but not overstated, interior looked awesome, full of cool tech that other competitors didn't have, etc. BUT, it was a Focus!?

So I drove to the Ford dealership and talked to who later became my salesman, Glenn. I told him much like I told the Kia salesman that I didn't want to talk numbers, I just wanted to drive the car. The Kia salesman continuously asked me questions about the process throughout the drive, whether I was going to trade in, how many miles and what kind of car, etc. and it just pissed me off, he also called me the wrong name the second time I visited him to get a trade-in quote. Glenn however, simply said okay, we walked to the Foci, looked around, I drove a white SEL with MFD but no MFT, took it around the block, and I absolutely LOVED it, it felt so composed, confident, solid, quiet, etc. It was simply fantastic. I then looked into a Titanium to check out the MFT system, which Glenn knew his way around as well.

So a few weeks later, some trade-in quotes, and some negotiations done, I walked out of the dealership on a Saturday morning with the keys to my SGM SEL Sedan Glenn found at another dealership 3 states away that had everything I wanted in it, and drove home. That was 2 weeks ago and I've been loving it ever since.

Just wanted to say I can relate to your story -- I too did so much research and must have looked at almost every other compact car (civic, mazda3, Elantra, etc). It never really entered my mind to look at ford until my dad told me (over the phone one day) that the focus was redesigned this year and that I should maybe consider it in the lineup as well... I never expected I would have been this obsessed with the car once I first clicked on the focus (for the 1st time) on the ford homepage. After I saw the specs/inside/out - It was like all other cars just didn't come close anymore. It just has everything you could want and could be custumized exactly to my liking.

·
Registered
548 Posts
A combination of them all.

I started out with a real basic car in mind. But when I started comparing the SEL I drove to everything I thought "eh, what's another 15 dollars a month here and 20 dollars a month there" If I'm gonna be paying off a car for the next 5-6 years I really wanted to enjoy it. I didn't want a car that would turn into my neon 10 years down the line and be viewed as total garbage.
So I guess a top selling point was the features.

I also like the sporty appearance, I definitely wanted something that was gonna look cool. Something to be proud to say I drive, or to wow people when they say "that's a focus?!"
Gas mileage was important, I had a small car before so it won't blow it out of the water, and the savings will just end up paying for the increased insurance rates. But it's still important. It won't save me every money, but next time you're in traffic take a look at the other drivers, 1 per car, and how many of them are in trucks and SUVs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is my first Ford.
I've been a truck / suv driver for the last 15 years or so.
I had just bought a new Toyota Double Cab 4x4 thinking I could keep it for 30 years and not worry too much about the gas mileage.
As nice as the truck was, it was miserably uncomfortable for me. Mostly due to my back and neck issues. I tried all sorts of things to make it more comfy. Nothing worked.
That, and the cost of fuel going up, made me consider selling the truck and getting a more economical car. I typically drive 1500 - 2000 miles a month. So comfort, economy, and durability were my key issues. I looked at almost every sporty compact out there and kept coming back to the Focus.
After three test drives, I made my choice. I'm very pleased with my 2012 SEL hatch. Meets my needs, and then some.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts