Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cause yeah how lame. the knob on my car (05) was painted silver in the middle to "look" like a nice aluminum panel with the pattern in it. paint started to peel off it in a matter of months. Anyone else have that problem? It looks lame now!

Jake

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've heard about this happening... but personally my knob never looked better

sweatty palms [:D]

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I had that same problem, cheap crap is what it is.

Ibought the polished steeda knob from newedge and no more issues.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
my paint came off pretty quickly...but I delivered pizzas for a while so I'm not tripping. I bought a cheap (but real) carbon fiber shift knob off ebay and it works great.

·
Registered
160 Posts
mine did to so i decided to pop the silver part out and repaint it. i painted it silver with a little more metal flake and then after that dried i sprayed it with blue and wipped the face off immediatly so that it left the numbers blue. it looks factory and has lasted longer than factory.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah man the middle part comes out? lol I tapped it all off and tried painting it and it turned into a nightmare!! yours sounds nice now. shoulda cleared it like a million times to make shure it don't rub off! I just got a Roush knob its all aluminum so that wont happen again.

Jake

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you don't drive an 05! I was in an older SE and man the shifter was way sweeter than mine! stupid 05s and their crapy interior!

Jake

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Yup, mine did the same back in 2001..... very poorly made. A nice MOMO knob will help ya fix that... [thumb]

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I wear a ring on my right hand and my shifter has chips taken out of it.

I'm eventually going to buy a decent one... but it's low on my priority list.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I had my shifter replaced because no matter what I did, I\'d get a grinding going into third. Guys here told me that the shifter was shot. The replacement they installed was the one from the ST. The knob on that one is a LOT better than the original.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
My stock knob also had paint come off the shifter (i wear a ring, so maybe that helped)

I was able to rub or scratch the paint off with my fingernail... After it was started, I used a credit card to remove the rest of it.

I planned on repainting, but I just got a different knob...

BTW, the same cheap paint is also used for the radio/hvac bezel, mine got scratched easily, so I repainted that with dupont vinyl paint.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
dannybohhy said:
but personally my knob never looked better
surpised nobody commented on this yet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol now that I know the middle part pops out. I drenched the whole thing in gas. got ALL the paint off. poped it out. cleaned it up. re-painted the middle peice with some silver metalic duplicolor and cleared it with tremclad clearcoat. looks good now. lets see if it stays that way! I don't really like the Roush shifter I have its too small and sits lower. its not comfortable at all and I could actually shift BETTER before!

Jake

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Algorhythm said:
Because not everyone is 12 years old.
but it seems that everyone has no sense of humor, even dumb humor.

jeez

·
Registered
471 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. But I got an RS shift knob, I get much smoother shifts now too. Maybe I'll pop it off and paint it just to see what happens.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts