Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
already picked up a set of OEM fogs, just need to wire them up.

Then I came across some fogs from a Fusion (right side, one taken apart to clean) disassembling the brackets and lights. I'm pretty sure I can fab the Fusion fog setup on the Focus bracket. Already did some work with the dremel.

whatcha think? ideas?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to MkI Focus

Better fit for this upgrade than the repair section.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Fab it. Just because I like fabricating.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I say go for it, you already started it, why not finish it.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Bingo felix. What is this main difference between the two? Can you put brighter hotter bulbs in the fusion housing?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I'm not mistaken the fusion with the cutoff slit could allow me to run an HID light? right guys?

I'll have to find a right side focus bracket but that shouldn't be too hard. I don't want to hack up the good one I already have.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Not sure what Fusions used for fog lights but I think they were projectors, right? If so, you can be much more liberal with what you use for bulbs than in a halogen housing.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Oh yes projector fogs would be better and brighter to use.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure what Fusions used for fog lights but I think they were projectors, right? If so, you can be much more liberal with what you use for bulbs than in a halogen housing.
these came with just a basic h11 type bulb, but when bench testing them they have a real nice cutoff as compared to the stock focus.

maybe I'll just fab up the one to see how it looks/fits in with the focus bezel since the lens is smaller.

I need more more/better dremel bits too. amazing what I have pulled off with what I have leftover from a kit I got when I was 16. [rofl]

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2nd bench test

wow, so I guess it is no surprise how crisp the cutoff was on the fusions.

just holding one lit up and standing about 20-25ft from my wall I had light about 1 ft high but spanning a good 20 or so feet.

Now with the foci lens, Light was scattered from floor to ceiling and barely spanning 10ft but, right in front in about a 5ft dia was where most of the light was concentrated.

So I guess it is really going to come down to where I want the light.

Back to my lab! [wrenchin]

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Aww come on man. Let us see some leaked photos from the mad scientist lab!

·
It's just a Focus.
5,260 Posts
I'm looking forward to how this turns out. If it does, this can be grounds for an archive how-to.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well my lazy ass didn't get around to mounting the modded foci bracket today. but I did learn that I didn't need to trim any of the plastic from the fusion bracket once I was all said and done. Heck I prob even went a bit overboard on chopping up the foci bracket.

maybe tomorrow ..

also I'm guessing the foci bracket is made from ABS plastic? I didn't see any markings on it or the fusion indicating. They are going to have to be epoxied/glued together to work.

·
Super Moderator
9,564 Posts
I would suggest getting a thin sheet of aluminum and custom fabricating some mock up brackets. This way you can test as to what would fit best.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would suggest getting a thin sheet of aluminum and custom fabricating some mock up brackets. This way you can test as to what would fit best.
can't really do that as the fusion light just clips into the bumper.

todays results.

finally got a nice day and free time to work on this. got old fogs removed new bracket in place, played around with fitment, dremel more, think I have it down and the g/f who has been gone all month comes home. So had to pack it all up.
Although during mockup with my original mount idea the fusion fog would sit a bit to far back. I can bring it out a bit more but then it runs into the focus bezel. So another idea popped into my head but just gotta get the time to work on it.

The fusion fog will have to sit back some (more than the focus style) to center it's self in the opening.

·
It's just a Focus.
5,260 Posts
can't really do that as the fusion light just clips into the bumper.

todays results.

finally got a nice day and free time to work on this. got old fogs removed new bracket in place, played around with fitment, dremel more, think I have it down and the g/f who has been gone all month comes home. So had to pack it all up.
Although during mockup with my original mount idea the fusion fog would sit a bit to far back. I can bring it out a bit more but then it runs into the focus bezel. So another idea popped into my head but just gotta get the time to work on it.

The fusion fog will have to sit back some (more than the focus style) to center it's self in the opening.

I think if they sit back more it won't look all that bad.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Or just go for the camo hidden look and mount them behind the grill. 2 sets of fogs!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts