Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's still eating oil like there's no tomorrow and it's got me scratching my head I know it's not the head gasket cause the coolant looks fine.......where could it be going? I can smell it too and I see no signs of it leaking anywhere on the top side</3

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Gotta look at the bottom of course..

How long has it been an issue?

Miles on the car?

"stupid" question based on an experience with mine - how do you check the oil level, and how often do you top up.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About every month or so and it needs it mainly whenever I do check it. 130,000 when I needed the vc gasket I didnt change the oil because i knew it'd burn it when I topped it off. And it's still burning it lol

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
It's either leaking out and dripping on the ground, or the engine is burning it.

Is the exterior of the engine spotless, or is there evidence some oil is escaping?

Looking at the spark plugs will show if you are burning oil.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure if there's oil on the plugs I know that there's no oil spot on the ground there's no evidence of a leak anywhere.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Leaks on the outside bottom is what I meant by "checking the bottom" as you'd mentioned only looking at the top.

The experience with mine that some others have seen is one with reading the dipstick.

When first pulled out after it sat for the oil to settle it looks quite low, but if you wipe & reinsert to check it shows a good level.

IF (and when) someone sees that low level & adds oil to match, it'll end up with a high level and burn more off as a result (mostly through the PCV system).

May not have a thing to do with your situation, one of those odd things that once seen (posted on here by others) comes to mind as an odd possibility in the future.

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
Always wait five minutes after killing motor to check oil. DOHCs hold scads of it up in the head hollows, it must be allowed to run back down into pan.

'...there's no evidence of a leak anywhere.'

You're locking yourself into a box. That if true means engine is burning it, no other way around it. I suggest you climb under car and look things over around the back lower part of the motor. May well clarify things.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I'm getting inconsistent readings on the dipstick like oil what is all along the edges and sometimes I'm not showing any oil at all with the car on a flat surface and of course the engine off I'm getting a major vacuum with the car running and the oil cap offand the idle changes when I take the cap off.like like sometimes I'm not showing any oil at all so I do fill it up and then I finally get a reading on the dipstick. I haven't change the oil in a long time just due to the fact that it was burning it actually that it was leaking out of the valve cover so that's why I never change the oil and I haven't changed it since we did the valve cover gasket

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Give the oil a change, it always burns more when the oil is used & thinner.

My D-tech needs a second check after pulling & wiping the stick for a good reading, keeping it at the right level will help as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts